Optics 1, Inc., a Safran Group Company, is a technology leader in the design, development, and production of Integrated Electro-Optical Systems for commercial and government applications. Leveraging our multi-disciplined engineering expertise in optics, electronics, software and mechanics, Optics 1 is able to design and deliver state-of-the-art electro-optical integrated systems. Our company is seeking a Sr. Optical Engineer to join our dynamic, fast paced organization located in Bedford, NH.
The Senior Optical Engineer will contribute to the design, development and testing of complex optical sub-components and systems used within laser devices (such as range finders, aiming/illumination systems, and target markers), compact imagers and displays (including clip-on thermal and SWIR cameras), and hand-held observation / navigation products. The Optical Engineer will be expected to contribute across multiple phases of product life-cycle, from proposal through prototype testing and transition to production. Typical work scope will span individual contributions, primarily within the optics domain, to more system level project contributions during later phases of development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and concept development for optical content in laser and/or imaging systems.
- Assist in DVT and Qualification testing, particularly relating to measurement of laser beam properties, image quality, and boresight stability.
- Present progress, test results / analysis, and work summaries to program team.
- Participate in PDR and CDR content development and presentations.
- Employ appropriate modeling methods to accurately describe system performance, justify tolerances, identify risks, and troubleshoot issues.
- Work closely with suppliers and fabrication houses to understand capabilities, limitations, and cost drivers that might impact design.
Skills and Qualifications:
- An ability to work individually and alongside a multi-disciplined, dynamic project team is a must.
- Strong working knowledge of Zemax Optical Design software.
- Strong working knowledge of stray light analysis tools such as FRED.
- Familiarity with SolidWorks.
- Analytical modeling capabilities in Matlab or equivalent.
- Understanding of optical fabrication techniques including machined, molded and diffractive optics.
- Supports engineering, programs and customers to insure that test plans and procedures cover all requirements and functions of the product.
- Assists Quality Engineering and Design Engineering with product design, product qualifications and environmental testing requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Optical engineering / Physics
- At least 10 years of experience as a Optical/Systems Engineer supporting modeling and product development
- Self-Starter with the ability to work independently and as a collaborative team player
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
- Knowledge and Experience of testing to meet MIL-STD-810G requirements
- U.S. Protected Individual status required (U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, asylee, refugee or temporary resident (as defined at 8 USC 1160(a).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
While performing the aforementioned job duties, the employee mainly works in a professional office setting that is relatively quiet and has temperature control systems.
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers.
No phone calls please.
Optics 1, Inc. offers a full benefit package, plus a very competitive salary.
EOE/AA/M/F/Vets – U.S. Protected Individual status required (U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, asylee, refugee or temporary resident (as defined at 8 USC 1160(a).