Optics 1, Inc., a Safran Group Company, is a technology leader in the design, development, and production of Integrated Electro-optical Systems for commercial and government applications. Leveraging our multi-disciplined engineering expertise in optics, electronics, software and mechanics, Optics 1 is able to design and deliver state-of-the-art electro-optical integrated systems.
The Optical Engineer will contribute to the design, development and testing of optical sub-components and systems including laser devices (such as range finders, aiming lasers, and target markers), and imaging products (such as clip-on thermal cameras and hand-held observation systems). They will contribute across multiple phases of product life-cycle, from early feasibility studies through transition to production. The Optical Engineer will be involved in the hands-on evaluation of prototype components, develop alignment and test assemblies, as well as utilize standard metrology tools. Functioning as part of one or more small project teams, they will also be contribute to optical design, optimization and analysis activities intended to ensure optical content of the project functions as expected and that cost / schedule goals are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions including, but not limited to:
- Design support for optical content in laser and/or imaging systems.
- Utilize lens design / stray light analysis software for troubleshooting and product improvement.
- Assist in DVT and Qualification testing, particularly relating to measurement of laser beam properties, image quality, and boresight stability.
- Present progress, test results / analysis, and work summaries to program team.
- Contribute to PDR and CDR content development and presentations.
- Work closely with suppliers and fabrication houses to understand capabilities, limitations, and cost drivers that might impact design.
Skills and Qualifications:
- An ability to work individually and alongside a multi-disciplined, dynamic project team is a must.
- Experience with Optical Design software such as Zemax, FRED
- Experience with MathCAD, MATLAB or similar modeling software
- Experience with LabView for automation and external device control a plus.
- Understanding of optical fabrication techniques including machined, molded and diffractive optics.
- BS or MS in Optical Engineering / Physics
- 1-3 years of experience as a Optical/Systems Engineer supporting modeling and product development
- Self-Starter with the ability to work independently and as a collaborative team player
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- US Citizen or U.S. Protected Individual status
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
- While performing the aforementioned job duties, the employee mainly works in a professional office setting that is relatively quiet and has temperature control systems.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers.
No phone calls please.
Optics 1, Inc. offers a full benefit package, plus a very competitive salary.
EOE/AA/M/F/Vets – U.S. Protected Individual status required (U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, asylee, refugee or temporary resident (as defined at 8 USC 1160(a).