Optics 1, Inc., a Safran Group Company, is a technology leader in the design, development, and production of Integrated Electro-optical Systems for commercial and government applications. Leveraging our multi-disciplined engineering expertise in optics, electronics, software and mechanics, Optics 1 is able to design and deliver state-of-the-art electro-optical integrated systems.
The Optical-Mechanical Engineer individual will assist Operations and Engineering in building and documenting prototype through Low Rate Initial Production (LRIP) systems. The Opto-Mechanical Engineer will assist production personnel with daily build and troubleshooting, identify and implement improved processes through use of Lean Six Sigma and other improvement methodologies, recommend design for manufacturability improvements, design and implement tooling and test equipment and train of assembly personnel. The majority of time to be spent on the production floor working with equipment/ processes, production personnel, quality and engineering.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions including, but not limited to:
- Develops, evaluates and improves manufacturing methods utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, quality standards, Lean Six Sigma and other improvement methodologies.
- Transitioning of prototypes into full rate production
- Develop test stations and test software
- Develops and implements manufacturing documentation including work instructions, process flows, routers and bills of materials
- Assists production personnel with daily build and troubleshooting
- Works with designers to recommend changes for manufacturability
- Training of assemblers and technicians to perform manufacturing and testing of complex electro-optical assemblies
- Design of electro optical test fixtures/ interfaces to be utilized in manufacturing production and test including environmental testing
- Work closely with engineering, programs and customers to insure that test plans and procedures cover all requirements and functions of the product
- Manages production tools to assure that tools are on hand and available for use
- Supports all non-conformance activities, from supplying the proper data to Engineers, drafting and implementing rework procedures to direct disposition of parts when appropriate
- Assists Quality Engineering and Design Engineering with product design, product qualifications and environmental testing requirements
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical engineering / engineering technology field
- At least 5 years of experience in a manufacturing facility
- Self-Starter with the ability to work independently and as a collaborative team player
- Strong organizational, presentation and customer relationship skills
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to be a team player
- Ability to effectively deliver a product within schedule and budget
- Experience with writing automation applications using LabVIEW or similar tools a plus
- Knowledge and Experience of testing to meet MIL-STD-810G requirements
- US Citizenship or hold US Protected Individual Status
- Experience with design using SolidWorks software or equivalent.
- Experience working in an ITAR environment and a DoD cleared facility a plus
- Experience with ISO 9000 and 9015 a plus
- Knowledge and experience of working in or maintaining a clean room a plus
- Experience with SAP or other ERP systems a plus
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering/ Engineering Technology Field
- Fluency in the English Language is required
Experience with Microsoft Office Products: Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, Visio and Project
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
While performing the aforementioned job duties, the employee mainly works in a professional office setting that is relatively quiet and has temperature control systems.
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers.
No phone calls please.
Optics 1, Inc. offers a full benefit package, plus a very competitive salary.
EOE/AA/M/F/Vets – U.S. citizenship is required.