Optics 1, Inc., a Safran Group Company, is a technology leader in the design, development, and production of Integrated Electro-optical Systems for commercial and government applications. Leveraging our multi-disciplined engineering expertise in optics, electronics, software and mechanics, Optics 1 is able to design and deliver state-of-the-art electro-optical integrated systems.
The Project Engineer is responsible for supporting the Sr. Director in the capture of new customer funded electro-optic development efforts and in the execution of both externally and internally funded technical product development from concept to prototype integration and test. This includes roles as the lead of technical efforts, the primary interface to customer’s technical personnel, and as an individual contributor in their field(s) of technical expertise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions including, but not limited to:
- Support the identification and capture externally funded R&D (ERAD) which supplements the company’s IRAD investments and helps Optics 1 achieve its technology roadmap.
- Provide technical leadership to complex development efforts from concept to prototype.
- Serve as a contributor in their technical/engineering field(s) of expertise in the bread-boarding and prototyping of novel electro-optical system concepts.
- Serve as a technical interface between external customers and the Company. This includes during the program execution phase but also during the business development and capture phase.
- Independently write whitepapers and contribute to technical sections of proposals with minimal assistance, analyzing requirements and providing technical input.
- Work in close coordination with the Business Development team to ensure the successful capture of new programs. This includes frequent meetings with customers and visits to their sights, often requiring the Project Engineer to be the sole representative of Optics 1.
- Attend trade shows, industry days, demonstrations, and similar events.
- Interface with other key functions within the Company to resource and execute plans, including Engineering, Program Management, and Business Development.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of ten (10) years of technical experience in an electro-optics related field such as lasers, optics, and/or imaging systems
- Demonstrated ability to lead a multi-disciplined technical program team associated with the development of complex EOIR systems and technologies.
- Demonstrated understanding of program management processes and best practices
- Proven ability to design and/or model systems in their technical/engineering field
- Experience and proficiency in the bread-boarding and/or prototyping of electro-optical systems or subsystems
- Experience and proficiency in the test of electro-optical systems or subsystems
- Demonstrated ability to lead a multi-disciplined integrated development team
- Demonstrated ability to break a development effort into logical subtasks and manage a small team to execute to a development plan
- Experience leading and contributing to proposal efforts
- Ability to independently write whitepapers about technical topics in support of business capture efforts
- Ability to generate novel but executable technical concepts in support of customer needs
- Due to the need for a US Secret Clearance, must be a US Citizen
- Experience working in a multi-national, multi customer environment
- Experience with and demonstrated understanding of electro-optical system design and production
- Experience in DoD-type acquisition and contracting; International experience a plus
- Basic understanding of ITAR regulations and import/export regulations a plus
- Experience with USG or DoD customer base; International customer experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Optical Engineering, Physics, or a similar field
- Fluency in the English Language is required
- Proficient in MS Office Suite of programs including MS Word, MS Project, MS Outlook, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint at a minimum.
- Proficiency in MatLab, Mathcad, Zemax, Solidworks NVIPM, NVTHERM, SSCAM, and/or FRED a plus
- Up to 30% - Frequent travel between facilities and customers in the United States, along with some international travel.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
- While performing the aforementioned job duties, the employee mainly works in a professional office setting that is relatively quiet and has temperature control systems.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers.
Optics 1, Inc. offers a full benefit package, plus a very competitive salary.
EOE/AA/M/F/Vets – U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Protected Individual Status( U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, asylee, refugee or temporary resident (as defined at 8 USC 1160(a))