Optics 1, Inc., a Safran Group Company, is a technology leader in the design, development, and production of Integrated Electro-Optical Systems for commercial and government applications. Leveraging our multi-disciplined engineering expertise in optics, electronics, software and mechanics, Optics 1 is able to design and deliver state-of-the-art electro-optical integrated systems. Our company is seeking an FPGA Firmware Engineer to join our dynamic, fast paced organization. Optics 1, Inc. offers a full benefit package, plus a very competitive salary.
The FPGA Firmware Engineer will be located in our Costa Mesa CA, location and is responsible for generating embedded FPGA code for thermal camera and related hardware for U.S. Military products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Generates, simulates, integrates, and debugs embedded FPGA code
- Collaborates with hardware engineers to troubleshoot thermal camera systems
- Support of calibration implementation for Long Wave Infrared (LWIR) and Short Wave Infrared (SWIR) camera products
- Perform power consumption analysis and optimization for extended battery lifetime
- Generating and maintaining embedded design documentation such as debug features, firmware specifications, architecture, interface specifications, sensor algorithms, and self-test diagnostics
- Education: BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- 3 years of FPGA design and development experience
- Experience developing and debugging real-time embedded systems and an understanding of embedded development tools and practices
- Expertise in VHDL and Verilog, with a general understanding of electronics systems
- Proficiency with Xilinx ISE/Vivado firmware development tools
- Experience with digital simulation using Modelsim or Vivado simulator
- Strong design, debug, and troubleshooting skills with solid hands-on lab experience using oscilloscopes, logic/spectrum analyzers and other test equipment
- Should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and be able to organize unstructured tasks, and forecast schedules on multiple projects simultaneously
- The position requires fluency in the English language and excellent communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with other team members, customers, and suppliers
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite of programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- US Citizen or US Protected Individual Status Required.
- Experience with imaging systems
- Experience with LWIR and/or SWIR camera systems
- Proficiency with Lattice Diamond firmware development tools
- Working knowledge of internal logic analyzer (ILA/chipscope/signaltap)
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
- While performing the aforementioned job duties, the employee mainly works in a professional office setting that is relatively quiet and has temperature control systems
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers