Chemical Procurement/Senior Chemical Buyer
The Senior Chemical Buyer is a critical role within the overall DuBois procurement process of designated raw materials/commodities/products/freight in supporting uninterrupted supply for each line of business and/or customer requirement. This Buyer shall work with multiple disciplinary teams (Supply Chain, Sales, Finance, Regulatory, EHS, etc) to deliver an optimized solution from a cost and risk standpoint to both manufacturing plants and external customers. This individual will primarily support the procurement process for our industrial commodities team and interact directly with both external suppliers and internal customers. This role will directly negotiate with suppliers on a daily basis and work diligently with the sales team to meet our customers' needs. This individual must be self-motivated and have strong communication skills, strong knowledge of the chemical industry, strong negotiating skills and the ability to work closely with others. Additional categories and procurement responsibilities will be managed based on capacity and experience.
- Negotiation: Ability to prepare effective negotiation plan and execute multiple alternatives.
- Analytical/CriticalThinking Skills: Identifies significant problems & opportunities. Analyzes problems and people in depth.
- Judgment/DecisionMaking: Consistent logic, rationality & objectivity in decision making. Neither indecisive nor hip- shooter.
- Pragmatism: Generates sensible, realistic, practical solutions to problems.
- Organization/Planning: Plans, organizes, schedules & budgets in efficient, organized manner. Focuses on key priorities.
- Teamwork and Cross Functional Collaboration: Able to interact well with others and build effective working relationships. Works effectively in a team environment and reaches out to peers and leaders and maintains effective cross-functional relationships across sales, customer service and larger operations organization.
Essential Functions/ Basic Duties
- Responsibility to source resale products, raw materials, packaging, outside services (for packaging and/or blending), and freight
- Negotiate purchases and establish contracts for critical materials from approved sources
- Continuously develop and optimize supplier relationships to gather information in an effort to source product of the best quality at the optimum price at proper lead-times to meet customer requirements
- Support, collaborate, and partner with the Sales team to determine customer requirements and ensure they are met
- Place purchase orders with suppliers, schedule deliveries, create bill of ladings and manage logistics as it pertains to purchasing
- Handle all raw material claims, returns, feedbacks and bring them to a timely closure
- Makes necessary adjustments to purchase orders to ensure proper inventory levels are maintained
- Consolidate plant/product area requirements and communicate within purchasing activities
- Support category on re-sourcing, supplier disruption initiatives and strategy execution
- Constantly compares prices, specifications and delivery dates and advises senior leadership of market intelligence and provides recommendations to improve company performance
- Consults with procurement leadership and expedites supplier goods purchases, where required, to meet shortfall or increases over current plans and sales requirements
- Runs materials related sales and inventory reports on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
- Continuously strive to reduce total cost of procured goods and services
- Responsible for overseeing all in-transit shipments while working both directly with carriers and our 3PL to move our products and customer’s freight in the most economic and efficient way possible
- Other transactional duties as assigned
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to operate in a fast paced environment. Verbal communication will be necessary both internally and externally.
Periodic visits to the plant floor and warehouses should be anticipated.
Minimal travel required. Approximately 10%.
Essential Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Chemistry, Supply Chain, or related field - in a lean manufacturing culture preferred
- 5-7 years’ relevant work experience, industrial and specialty chemicals a must
- 3+ years’ in operational purchasing or relevant business experience such as supply chain, operations, project management or finance
- Manufacturing work setting and chemical industry required Microsoft Excel and AX preferred, Office 365 a plus
- Ability to interface with all levels of the organization High awareness to detail, strong analytical skills
- Thorough working knowledge of Purchasing polices, processes and procedures
- Strong research skills and knowledge of market trends
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects at the same time
- Strong communication skills, demonstrated ability to negotiate effectively
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.