Job Title: Lead Developer
Reports to: Web Manager
Rotary is 1.2 million inspired business and professional leaders, in 35,000 Rotary clubs and more than 200 geographical areas united daily across cultures and occupations addressing illiteracy, disease, hunger, poverty, and lack of clean water. The fervent idea exchange celebrates diverse perspectives and facilitates positive change. Passion and engagement abound at Rotary International. In exchange for hard work and dedication, our employees are rewarded with competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. We offer all this and more. Come join us. Visit www.rotary.org to learn more.
Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
One of Rotary’s values is diversity, which we define as embracing diversity in thought, culture, and perspective. As such, we welcome and encourage highly-qualified candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
The Lead Developer will manage a team of permanent and contract web developers to meet the business needs and support the strategy of Rotary’s web presence. This position will plan and manage web systems and platforms. The Lead Developer will assist the Web Manager in executing the overall digital strategy and ensure best, most performant expression of Rotary’s User Experience design patterns. This position will collaborate with internal and external teams to develop and maintain the organization’s front-end platform, applications, and sites.
- Own and document product roadmap while collaborating with others, considering pros and cons; business, enterprise and project risks; and impact and constraints.
- Presents technical architecture to meet business needs, helps evaluate options and documents for the development team, approves technical design prior to engineering
- Establish or provide best practices for development such as code standards, code reviews, and unit or functional testing strategies on projects and operations
- Ensure nonfunctional requirements are achievable on enterprise projects and are subsequently met
- Provides technical expertise to project and product teams and resolves critical or urgent production support issues, as needed
- Champions the need for a product and platform upgrades by being proactive and looking out for underlying fundamental architectural changes in the overall framework, application, or platform
- Make presentations to organization leadership project, and product teams on technology options and recommendations
- Collaborates with IT Systems Architecture and infrastructure teams to ensure compatibility, interoperability, and integration with existing applications
- Works on new and innovative uses of the technology within the organization.
- Reviews third-party tools to supplement application development and integration efforts
- Conducts proof of concepts, as necessary, to validate and evaluate technology that gets incorporated in future projects
- Collaborates with UX Design, Production, and Editorial teams to determine the appropriate solutions and strategies.
- Authors key components of the web application and collaborates with the development team on implementations as necessary
- Hires, trains, supervises and evaluates a varying number of permanent and contract web developers in Evanston, remotely and offshore. Monitors, develops, and motivates these staff members on an ongoing basis through daily standups, regular meetings and annual and quarterly goal setting.
- Updates job knowledge and provides strategic input to organization by researching new technologies and software products, participating in development community, educational opportunities, or professional organizations.
- Possess a strong foundation in computer science and have a proven track record of sound code design, reuse, and maintenance.
- Must have end-to-end knowledge of the content management and web application space, including performance and scalability, design and tuning, data migration, SEO strategy execution, CDN implementation, metrics and third party web services integration, and general knowledge of open source products and frameworks.
- Provide expertise in general system administration in Unix/Linux environments, database administration and tuning, web server configuration, and integrating with cloud technologies (platform & application).
- Must have experience supervising other developers and managing an effective development team.
- Object-oriented development experience with PHP 5.x
- Full lifecycle experience as Project Leader, Analyst, Architect, or Technical Lead is a plus
- Working knowledge of HTML5, CSS3
- Experience building and/or using , Content Management Systems
- Understanding and knowledge of web development and content solutions
- Experience building responsive web sites and progressive enhancement web applications
- Experience with caching strategies, including CDNs is a plus
- Experience deploying and maintaining web infrastructures is a plus
- Cloud computing and storage experience is a plus
- Experience with Varnish, ngnx, Memcached, Redis, Google Search Appliance, Apache Solr, MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL Server, IIS, Azure, Amazon Web Services, or other similar technologies
- Experience with Python, Ruby, C#, or other languages other than PHP a plus
- Ability to contribute on multiple projects simultaneously and adjust to shifting priorities
- Experience with Agile methodology
- Outstanding sense of initiative and ownership
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Clarity of thought, critical and analytical thinking skills
- Ability to help the business prioritize based on complexity or risk
- 5-8 years of full life-cycle development designing and building web-based applications with PHP
- 3+ years of experience developing and supporting web-based applications with Drupal
- 3+ years of experience effectively leading teams
- BA/BS or equivalent combination of work experience and education