Job Title: Senior Meeting Planner
Area: Meetings & Events
Reports to: Manager, Meetings Logistics
Rotary is 1.2 million inspired business and professional leaders, in 35,000 Rotary clubs and more than 200 geographical areas united daily across cultures and occupations addressing illiteracy, disease, hunger, poverty, and lack of clean water. The fervent idea exchange celebrates diverse perspectives and facilitates positive change. Passion and engagement abound at Rotary International. In exchange for hard work and dedication, our employees are rewarded with competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. We offer all this and more. Come join us. Visit www.rotary.org to learn more.
Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
One of Rotary’s values is diversity, which we define as embracing diversity in thought, culture, and perspective. As such, we welcome and encourage highly-qualified candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
In this position, you will serve as the logistics lead for Rotary’s Flagship product, the International Convention. Your contribution will facilitate a dynamic convention attracting between 15,000 – 50,000 attendees from around the world. Rotary’s International Convention consists of general sessions featuring world thought leaders, 99+ educational breakout sessions, and an Exhibit Hall featuring 400+ global exhibitors. As a Senior Meeting Planner you will be responsible for consultations, planning, and onsite support of a portfolio of meetings at Rotary International
You Will Have
- Experience working in a Convention Center with citywide events of more than 5,000 attendees
- Six (6) years of meeting planning experience
- CMP, CMM, PMP or related certification
- Project management or team management experience
- Experience defining vendor specifications, negotiating pricing, and executing vendor agreements for meeting services and equipment
- Strong project management, organizational, administrative, and problem-solving skills
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Microsoft software
- Ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity when working in an international environment
You Are Good At
- Working in a team environment.
- Collaborating and building consensus within cross-functional areas.
- Customer service with both internal and external
- Interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Managing multiple priorities
- Showing attention to detail
You Are Open To
- Supporting other Rotary meetings and events as assigned
- Traveling and working on-site at Convention for several weeks at a time
- Traveling both domestically and internationally for Rotary events
You are able to
- Sit for extended periods of time
- Stand for extended periods of time
- Walk for extended periods of time
- Climb stairs for extended periods of time
- Travel for extended periods of time
- Lift a minimum of 20 lbs.
- Utilize office equipment such as a copy machine, 2-way radio, phone, fax machine, computer, etc.
* Travel may include but not be limited to sitting in an airplane, train, bus or other form of transportation in order to get to a predetermined location.
You Will Be Responsible For
- Contributing to overall project management for meetings including development, review, and revision of project management timelines.
- Implementing and revising space allocations for all meeting venues, including offices, exhibits and meeting rooms as necessary; updating meeting planning work order software for all meeting space. Also tracking and allocating space for ancillary meetings.
- Serving as the point person in gathering and managing the meeting specifications and preparation of function and production schedule.
- Initiating, negotiating, and implementing vendor agreements according to policies & procedures for furniture rental, office equipment rental, simultaneous interpretation (SI) equipment rental, audiovisual, catering, floral, and other vendors as assigned. Supervising and monitoring negotiations for other vendors used by the section as assigned for the general sessions, workshops, and pre-convention meetings.
- Supervising and monitoring all on-site office and meeting room setups at meetings, including all on-site supply/equipment and audiovisual needs for staff.
- Tracking all orders and invoices for expenses including decorating, audio visual, office equipment, SI, communications equipment, food and beverage. Coordinating post-meeting billing reconciliation, and reclassifying expenses.
- Liaising with RI Global Communications to coordinate interpreter services for the general sessions, workshops, and pre-convention meetings. Liaising with RI Corporate Governance team to coordinate simultaneous interpretation needs for offsite Board of Directors and/or Board of Trustee meetings.
- Preparing floor plans for all areas of the convention including office setups using special software (Meeting Matrix). Creating overall venue floor plan for distribution in staff packets.
- Coordinating distribution of all communications equipment and supervising preparation of onsite telephone lists. Updating all lists for equipment needs and staff/office information for convention.
- Developing schedules for venue as required (i.e. air conditioning, etc.).
Food and Beverage
- Preparing arrangements for all food & beverage functions, including final guarantees, room setup, decorations, signage needs, entertainment needs, regular vendor communication, on-site supervision and review of catering master accounts for Convention.
- Collaborating with Donor Relations on all aspects of event coordination and logistics for all major donor events in conjunction with convention including, contracting, site selection, food and beverage, vendor selection and coordination, and entertainment.
- Supervising all food and beverage arrangements for all identified meetings including ticketed meal events for up to 4,000 people, VIP services, coffee breaks, staff, stage area needs, and vendor meals as required.
- Working with appropriate convention venue staff to oversee food and beverage outlets in convention venues during period of the event.
- Developing food & beverage ticket pricing and expense budgets for management and leadership approval.
- Coordinating with Registration team to maintain accurate attendee master list of special requests and dietary requirements of attendees for the convention.
- Creating and maintaining department vendor contact lists, maintaining all department annual plans (SharePoint time lines) and critical dates documents.
- Preparing monthly reports on area activities and assisting in preparation of quarterly reports for the department manager.
- Aiding in development of and updating to department procedure manuals and convention manual annually.
- Participates in site visits, convention committee meetings working in conjunction with vendors, volunteers and related staff, as required.
- Aids in preparation of site visit agendas and reports, Committee Advance Memoranda, Minutes and Board Items as required.
- Develops and maintains resource/historical section files (paper and electronic) for all vendor, equipment and related logistical items.
- Implements Board and Trustee actions as related to responsibilities.
- Assists the department manager with other projects, as assigned.
- Monitors, develops, and motivates this staff member on an on-going basis through weekly meetings and annual and quarterly goal setting.
- Exhibits an attitude of professionalism, service and collaboration within the Meetings and Events team, the RI Secretariat and the community at large in support of the Secretariat and Rotary International’s Strategic Plan and Mission.
- Contributes to a collaborative, team-oriented working environment.
Supervisory and Budget Responsibility
- Assisting in the hiring, training and supervising of the specialist and coordinator positions that align with the Convention.
- developing and monitoring actual versus budgeted line items (audiovisual, equipment rental, telephone, furniture rental, food and beverage, entertainment, and other items as assigned) and reconciling operational budgets for accounts within meeting cost centers as assigned.
Why work for Rotary?
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits package
- Progressive 401k matching contributions
- Above market and generous paid time off package
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- On-site cafeteria and coffee bar with special pricing for Rotary employees
- Flextime-several different work schedules to choose from
- Close to CTA, Metra, a variety of stores, and many food options