Job Title: Senior Financial Accountant - International Operations
Area: Corporate Finance and Planning - International
Reports to: Manager of Corporate Finance and Planning - International
Rotary unites people from all continents and cultures who take action to deliver real, long-term solutions to pressing issues facing our communities. Each year, Rotary members invest more than $200 million and 16 million volunteer hours to improve lives and create positive change in the world. In exchange for hard work and dedication in support of Rotary’s clubs and humanitarian initiatives, our employees receive competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. To learn more, visit http://www.rotary.org
Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
As a global network that strives to build a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change, Rotary values diversity and celebrates the contributions of people of all backgrounds, regardless of their age, ethnicity, race, color, abilities, religion, socioeconomic status, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
This position is in the Corporate Finance and Planning (CFP) Department of Rotary International in Evanston. The role reports to Manager CFP – International and is part of the team that supports International Offices, Fiscal Agents, and Associate Foundations around the globe. The team provides business support including, but not limited to financial accounting, management and regulatory reporting, tax filings, internal and external compliance, governance, as well as transaction and other research. The ideal candidate is a professional with a broad range of experiences and capabilities, preferably in international accounting, treasury, tax, financial and regulatory reporting, transaction processing and business process improvement.
Education, Knowledge and Skills
- B.S./B.A. degree in Accounting or Finance, CPA or advance degree a plus;
- 6 plus years of progressive international accounting/operations experience preferred;
- Proven knowledge of US GAAP and/or IFRS preferred;
- Strong knowledge of financial analysis tools (ROI, discounted cash flows, variance analysis, etc.);
- Proven knowledge of budgeting process;
- Experience working with internal and external auditors;
- Experience with accounting for foreign currency transactions;
- Understanding of regulatory, tax, and internal compliance frameworks;
- Prior experience with ERP systems required, Oracle Cloud preferred;
- Understanding of financial systems and processes; system conversion/implementation experience preferred;
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Proficient in preparing position papers that include financial data analysis to support business decisions through financial modeling, graphical presentation, and analytical writing;
- Strong work ethic and sense of responsibility for delivering work accurately and timely;
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders as well as across domestic and international functions and organizations;
- Ability to “shift gears” and prioritize tasks based on the immediate need of the business;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Solid PC skills including proficiency in MS Office, advanced knowledge of Excel.
You Are Good At
- Working in a team, getting along with others;
- Planning and organizing;
- Problem solving;
- Sharing prior experience and knowledge with others;
- Asking questions, not being afraid to ask for help;
- Being curious and observant;
- Working with minimal supervision;
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
1) Financial Accounting, Financial Statements, Audit, Monthly and Annual reporting, Taxation and Information Filings
- Review, validate and reconcile local financial statements to US GAAP. Create and maintain supporting documentation, ensure timely updates for changes in local and US accounting policies.
- Provide support in preparation of monthly financial statements including variance explanations and ensuring timely reporting;
- Oversee and support various regions with external audit process including audited financial statements and ensure that local financial activities are appropriately consolidated into the financial records of Rotary International and The Rotary Foundation;
- Support the development of local tax filings and other compliance reporting;
- Be the subject matter expert for assigned functional areas;
- Work with international operations and other financial analysts to prepare variance explanations as required.
2) Board and Committee meetings - Support Activities for Associate Foundations
- Develop financial presentations for Board of Trustees and committee meetings;
- Track and report on key initiatives by working with staff in assigned regions;
- Assist or develop appropriate dashboard metrics, key analytics/performance measurements and PowerPoint presentations for various audiences;
- Maintain current knowledge of Associate Foundation bylaws and other operating documents, and Trustee decisions relevant to the financial obligations of the International office and to guide the Executive management of the Associate Foundations;
- Prepare materials for TRF Trustee Review and approval as needed;
- Other projects as assigned.
3) Budget Process
- Assist and coordinate training for the budget process with the Manager of Corporate Finance and Planning, for department managers and budget preparers and provide information and tools for non- finance staff;
- Work with business managers in the development of their budgets and forecasts and provide insightful analytics to support financial decision making and financial impact statements;
- Support accuracy and analysis associated with the proposed Associate Foundation budgets;
- Report on variances against budget; provide forecasts for business areas and recommend actions;
- Contribute to the development of budget materials including draft budgets, budget book, and PowerPoint presentations to ensure accuracy and completeness;
- Assist the Senior Director of Finance, Managers of CFP, and CFO during presentation of the budget to the Board and Trustee and senior management.
4) Continual Business Improvements
- Document, maintain, and train staff on relevant policies and procedures, with specific content for the International Offices and the Associate Foundations;
- Recommend, evaluate and develop enhancements or modifications to procedures and processes to increase department efficiency;
- Develop and review the application of policies and procedures related to your assigned region.
Why work for Rotary?
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits package
- Progressive 401k matching contributions
- Generous paid time off package
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- On-site cafeteria and coffee bar with special pricing for Rotary employees
- Flextime-several different work schedules to choose from
- Close to CTA, Metra, a variety of stores, and many food options