Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
One of Rotary’s values is diversity, which we define as embracing diversity in thought, culture, and perspective. As such, we welcome and encourage highly-qualified candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
The Peace Programs Manager is responsible for coordinating and aligning Rotary’s various peace activities across Rotary International’s Secretariat. This position will directly support a Senior Rotarian Leader Oversight Committee to ensure strategic integration of all peace-related activities. This position will liaise directly with the following areas: Peace and Conflict Prevention/Resolution Area of Focus, Rotary Peace Centers, Programs and Grants, Donor Relations, Communications, External Relations, Meetings & Events and Alumni.
BA or BS degree in a field directly related to Peace and Conflict Prevention/Resolution, international development, or non-profit management (provided ten years relevant work experience)
Graduate degree in a field directly related to Peace and Conflict Prevention/Resolution, international development, or non-profit management (provided five years relevant work experience)
Direct knowledge of Rotary’s peace initiatives and familiarity with the organization.
- Program administration for international programming; specifically related to peace and conflict resolution.
- Study, work, or volunteering experience abroad for a minimum of one year.
- Experience directly related to strategic program development.
- Work with an international organization required.
- Possess diverse working relationships relevant to the position’s responsibilities.
- Work with volunteers to achieve organizational goals highly desirable.
- Coordination of collaborative decision-making and relationships with multiple, diverse individuals, organizations and institutions.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Ability to organize work, balance multiple tasks, and prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to effectively design, conduct and document grant/program evaluations.
- Ability to remain flexible in assessing feedback on new organizational unit and adjusting implementation strategies in response.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative as a self-starter.
- Familiarity with and sensitivity to working with a variety of individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to quickly identify issues and solve problems.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of Rotary Foundation grant types.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office and various databases).
- Knowledge of a second language preferred.
- Act as the liaison across Rotary’s functional areas that engage in peace-related activities to further the strategic objectives of Rotary’s peace initiatives.
- Support the Peace Programs Oversight Committee in the development of a more coordinated and higher impact approach to Rotary peace activities across RI.
- Coordinate and ensure alignment of Rotary’s diverse peace activities which include but are not limited to:
- Management, coordination and planning for Rotary International Peace Summits and Symposia. Working as a direct liaison to appropriate volunteer committees and Meetings & Events.
- Management and expansion of Peacebuilder District and Peacebuilder Club programs
- Development of peace programming that fall outside the purview of the PCPR Area of Focus Manager and Rotary
- Peace Centers program; e.g. Thought Leadership Initiatives, public relations engagement, advocacy and messaging campaigns.
- Support expanded alumni engagement activities for Rotary Peace Fellows
- Work directly with Rotary International Communications department on messaging and communications for Peace
- Serve as main point of contact for all peace inquiries that fall outside of Rotary Peace Centers and AOF purview
- Coordinate appropriate input from functional areas for any Presidential Initiatives related to peace.
- Work directly with speech writers, Rotarian magazine and other media outlets on messaging for peace; coordinate peace messages for external use, soliciting feedback from functional areas as appropriate.
- Work with Rotary representatives as needed on ad-hoc peace engagements
- Works directly with Programs area to keep updated on Service Partners for peace (Mediators Beyond Borders) and their activities.
- Work with District Rotarian leadership to build on the concept of Peacebuilder clubs and disseminate engagement opportunities as available.
- Work with Rotary UN representatives on any activities related to peace.
No direct supervisory responsibilities
Manages budget for Senior Rotarian Leader Oversight Committee as appropriate
Internal Collaboration Expectations
An essential part of the role of the Peace Programs Manager is to ensure communication and coordination between all of the functional areas of Rotary’s peace programs. As such, the Peace Programs manager will be responsible for regularly communicating with the following contacts in Rotary for report to the Senior Rotarian Leader Oversight Committee.
- Area of Focus Manager, PCPR: Main point of contact for grant activity related to peace, Rotary-IEP Strategic partnership, and other strategic initiative’s related directly to programming.
- Rotary Peace Centers Manager: Main point of contact for Rotary Peace Centers growth plan and activity in the RPC program.
- Alumni Relations: Main point of points for alumni activities and expanded engagement of Rotary Peace Fellow Alumni in Rotary’s Peace Activities.
- Fund Development: Main point of contact for both Rotary Peace Centers and Area of Focus Major Gift Campaigns.
- Communications: Main point of contact for peace messaging, promotion, articles, external engagement, and speech writing
- Meetings and Events: Main point of contact for coordinating Rotary International Peace Summits/Symposia/ or related events.
- Programs: Main point of contact for Service Partnerships and presidential initiatives related to peace
- Strategy and Evaluation: Works with strategy and evaluation to ensure that peace activities are aligned with overall Rotary Strategic plan.
- Others as assigned
Other Internal Contacts
- Other Area of Focus Managers
- RI General Managers
- RI Programs
- Financial Services staff, particularly Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Treasury, and Corporate Reporting.
- Communications staff.
- International Office staff, particularly TRF Services.
- Legal Services
- Associate Foundations staff.
- Fund Development staff, particularly Regional Major Gift Officers and Annual Programs Fund Officers.
- Rotary Contact Center staff.
- Alumni Relations staff, particularly with Global Grants for scholars and vocational training teams.
- Language Services and Information Services staff, as necessary.
- Meets with and provides support to Rotarians visiting the World Headquarters.
- Senior Rotarian Leader Oversight Committee
- Rotarian Action Groups
- Rotary Peace Centers Committee.
- Possible communication with major donors, should Fund Development decide to involve Peace Programs Manager
- Club and District level Rotarians interested in knowing more about Rotary’s peace programming
PC and laptop, Microsoft Office Software, internally developed databases, internet, telephone, multi-functional devices, LCD projector, copy machine.