Job Title: Director, Digital & Content
Reports to: Chief Communications Officer
Rotary is 1.2 million inspired business and professional leaders, in 35,000 Rotary clubs and more than 200 geographical areas united daily across cultures and occupations addressing illiteracy, disease, hunger, poverty, and lack of clean water. The fervent idea exchange celebrates diverse perspectives and facilitates positive change. Passion and engagement abound at Rotary International. In exchange for hard work and dedication, our employees are rewarded with competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. We offer all this and more. Come join us. Visit www.rotary.org to learn more.
Rotary’s commitment to diversity
One of Rotary’s values is diversity, which we define as embracing diversity in thought, culture, and perspective. As such, we welcome and encourage highly-qualified candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
Rotary International is seeking an experienced Director of Digital & Content to oversee the key communications vehicles for the organization such as rotary.org, digital content and the Rotarian magazine.
The Director of Digital & Content must possess a strong communications background and an understanding of how to communicate to a diverse, global audience. The successful candidate will have overseen digital and print communications vehicles and have previous experience managing creative and development teams, including web, magazine, video and photography.
The director will lead and drive innovation for our digital ecosystem supporting efforts to increase understanding of Rotary, and support the 35,000 Rotary clubs and 1.2 million Rotary members worldwide.
In addition, the director will develop a content strategy across all platforms that share content and support the organization’s overall communications plan.
Bachelor's Degree in journalism, communications or related field required. Graduate degree in similar field highly desirable.
- Strong leadership and managing skills
- Comprehensive understanding of editorial development and content publishing—both digital and print-- required
- A strong knowledge and understanding of digital storytelling, website development, content management systems, testing, search engine optimization, usability and analytics
- Experience directing strategy, approach and content for digital platforms
- Background in print publications management
- Strong creative skills and a demonstrated ability to foster creative excellence among team members.
- Strong oral communication skills, editorial and creative writing skills, and a sophisticated understanding of what should be communicated to various audiences
- Effective organizational and administrative skills required
- Ability to manage staff and budgets required
- Understanding of global political, economic and social considerations
- Project management skills and experience including project planning and tracking, and issue resolution
- Experience leading both internal and external resources
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple initiatives concurrently
- Understanding of how to navigate a complex, relationship-based organization to achieve objectives
- Understand how things get done working up, down and across the organization
- Track record in working with digital assets as key components and extensions of the brand
Knowledge and Skills
- Team building to engage and motivate team members to the effort
- Ability to see the big picture when integrating different communication channels and to work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship skills
- Ability to manage conflict and solve problems effectively
- Ability to balance solutions against economic, technical, and human factors
- Innovative thinking, flexible and change oriented
- Initiative, enthusiasm, and persuasiveness
- Ability to translate “how we’re doing” data into “how we can make it better” ideas
- Ability to understand diverse cultures and interact with them to achieve business and communication objectives
Communication and Design:
- Sound written and verbal communication skills; ability to clearly and confidently communicate to executive management, senior leadership, project stakeholders, and technical staff
- Understanding of creative and effective storytelling and how to execute in both the print and the digital space – using video, photo and the written word.
- Ability to understand how to communicate across diverse cultures and nations
- Ability to represent the audience’s point of view in design and communications
- Ability to articulate information and opinions in a factual manner, debate openly, and subsequently take action as decided
- Ability to organize large volumes of information into intuitive and easy-to-navigate groupings
- Works closely with the executive leadership of RI and its Foundation to develop and support key messages to the membership, and appropriate communications policies and procedures
- Drives the vision and provide thought leadership on how to meet the needs of our constituents using digital channels. Develops a multi-year digital strategy, plans and roadmap emphasizing our website, and social and mobile technologies.
- Oversees Rotary’s digital ecosystem including Rotary’s website (rotary.org and My Rotary), e-newsletters, digital resources and business tools; Develops tools and material to assist use of digital assets by Rotary clubs and tools that reinforce Rotary’s brand
- Oversees The Rotarian magazine and its operations
- Oversees the Visual Media team which produces and manages video and photo assets.
- Works closely with the Director of Global Communication & Design to support the operations of the 30+ Rotary regional magazines produced independently around the world
- Collaborates with the broader Communications group to ensure consistency of message across all channels. Leads and directs content decisions across the Rotary channels. Effectively manages the sharing of content across all platforms to achieve effective messaging and efficiency.
- Responsible for hiring and training employees; Conducts performance appraisals, creates development plans, provides mentoring and training, and delivers ongoing performance feedback to direct reports.
- Manages digital agencies including planning & execution and agency evaluation on an as-needed basis.
- Oversees Rotary’s digital ecosystem and oversee business processes to ensure efficient and effective deployment of platforms and assets; Develops tools and material to assist leadership at the headquarters, club and district levels in adopting a consistent set of digital assets that reinforce Rotary’s brand, including websites, social sites, and mobile apps.
- Provides leadership to internal staff and clients on digital strategies and capabilities.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with key internal clients. Maintain a productive, supportive environment in a very relationship-based culture.
- Demonstrates familiarity with current project management methodology such as Agile.
- Represents the organization at events as assigned.
- Serves as a trusted advisor to senior management across the organization.
Minimum fifteen years editorial experience required. At least ten years of management experience required. Experience communicating to global audiences, as well as experience in a constituent, membership or association environment preferred. Ability to speak multiple languages preferred, but not required.
The position is directly responsible for managing and achieving goals within a large team comprised of Rotary’s website, magazine and visual media areas. Work with staff located in Rotary headquarters and indirectly to project team members located in eight international offices. This requires the focused supervision of project team members globally, and may include consultants, and contract staff as appropriate.
Responsible for oversight of the roughly US$8 million budget for the Digital & Content group. Oversees development of magazine, web and photo and video content and related budgets. Reviews, approves and monitors expenditures from these budgets.
Internal: management and staff across the organization; and volunteer leadership.
External: communications agencies, content providers, printers and other providers.