Job Title: Project Manager II
Area: Enterprise Projects
Reports to: Project Portfolio Manager
Rotary is 1.2 million inspired business and professional leaders, in 35,000 Rotary clubs and more than 200 geographical areas united daily across cultures and occupations addressing illiteracy, disease, hunger, poverty, and lack of clean water. The fervent idea exchange celebrates diverse perspectives and facilitates positive change. Passion and engagement abound at Rotary International. In exchange for hard work and dedication, our employees are rewarded with competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. We offer all this and more. Come join us. Visit www.rotary.org to learn more.
Rotary’s commitment to diversity
One of Rotary’s values is diversity, which we define as embracing diversity in thought, culture, and perspective. As such, we welcome and encourage highly-qualified candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
The Project Manager is responsible for managing and coordinating cross-functional, large scale projects over their complete project life cycle: from concept, to initiation, approval, planning, execution / implementation, and transition to production. Project Managers are responsible for managing overall client satisfaction, client expectations and effectively leading project teams. Project Managers are accountable for driving projects to successful completion within the agreed constraints of time, budget and specification.
**Please note this is not an information technology position.**
Characteristics of the successful candidate:
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate verbally and in writing to a diverse audience.
- Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail.
- A positive, team oriented attitude with confident leadership abilities.
- The ability to build and maintain positive professional relationships with project stakeholders.
- A commitment to customer satisfaction with quality products or services.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least four years of project leadership experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects.
- Advanced degree (e.g. Master’s, MBA, etc.)
- Project management certification (PMI/CAPM or PMP, PRINCE2)
- Experience working on international projects
- Experience working with remote project teams
Knowledge and Skills
This position must have knowledge of standard project management procedures. The Project Manager must be able to develop and manage project plans according to Rotary International’s project management framework. Other applicable knowledge and skills are:
- Experience with leading custom developed applications (using SDLC but preferably using Agile) strongly preferred
- Must be able to communicate effectively and tactfully with all levels of stakeholders, both in verbal and written modes; able to pay close attention to detail.
- Possess a high degree of personal integrity and strong work ethic and be proficient in delivering sustained results in dynamic environments.
- Strong analytic skills in identifying critical paths, key milestones, dependencies and resource requirements under a complex environment; providing objective analysis and assessment to senior management and the project team on project status, progress, and potential risks and opportunities along the project’s lifecycle.
- Ability to proactively manage risk and influence others.
- Entrepreneurial drive and work ethic.
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills, including a positive and professional attitude.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Perform the relevant project management processes - i.e. initiate, plan, execute, monitor and control and close, and the supporting processes (scope, cost, time, issue, risk, resource, communication) stakeholder management
- Plan the project based on a defined need
- Monitor and control the work to ensure that the project remains on track and in control
- Plan for and manage change
- Reports on variances to the approved project baseline
- Close the project to formalize acceptance of the project result and release project resources
- Interface and communicate with project team, management and stakeholders
- Manage project work and resources to enable successful and timely completion of the project
- Work within defined governance processes
- Manage external contracts and suppliers where required
- Manage to the objectives and plan by thorough risk, issue and change management across both business and technology components of the project
- Ensures that quality project standards are met as prescribed through the effective implementation or use of approved processes, methodologies and deliverables
- Identify and document project lessons learned for continuous improvement opportunities in future projects
This position is responsible for developing project costs utilizing current metrics, and may be asked to assist in annual budgeting.
- Regular contact with the following contacts will be necessary:
- Project Managers
- Business Analysts
- IT Resources, specifically Team Leads
- Business area representatives