Job Title: Major Gifts Officer (New Orleans, LA)
Area: Polio & Philanthropy - Planned and Major Gifts
Reports to: Manager of Major Gifts
Rotary unites people from all continents and cultures who take action to deliver real, long-term solutions to pressing issues facing our communities. Each year, Rotary members invest more than $200 million and 16 million volunteer hours to improve lives and create positive change in the world. In exchange for hard work and dedication in support of Rotary’s clubs and humanitarian initiatives, our employees receive competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. To learn more, visit http://www.rotary.org
Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
As a global network that strives to build a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change, Rotary values diversity and celebrates the contributions of people of all backgrounds, regardless of their age, ethnicity, race, color, abilities, religion, socioeconomic status, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
The Major Gifts Officer is part of a team of professionals whose primary responsibility is the identification, cultivation and solicitation of individual prospects capable of giving in excess of US$50,000. The Major Gifts Officer for RI Zone 31 will secure major gifts from Rotarians and others who live within a defined territory which consists of the states of Missouri, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and portions of southern Illinois. Although The Rotary Foundation headquarters is located in Evanston, IL, this position will be remotely based where the Major Gifts Officer resides within the assigned region, preferably in a metropolitan area.
You Will Have
- Bachelor’s degree and/or CFRE preferred.
- Excellent communication skills (including listening) coupled with strong writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to interact with high-level donors and volunteers while advancing individual relationships resulting in philanthropic contributions.
- An ability and willingness to learn quickly Rotary’s history, mission, demographics, programs, departments, and volunteer structure in order to persuasively articulate how The Rotary Foundation distinguishes itself from other charities.
- Two to three years of prior major gift, planned giving, or stewardship experience is expected.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a team environment while also being comfortable with qualitative and quantitative evaluation.
You Are Good At
- Donor centric fundraising
- Balancing attention to detail with big picture of donors’ philanthropic goals
- Building and maintaining an active major donor portfolio
- Prioritizing competing goals, stakeholders, and timelines
- Adaptation and flexibility
- Collaboration - Build partnerships and work with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communication – Be open to receiving ideas from diverse viewpoints and able to communicate messages so that they are universally understood.
- Engagement - Foster relationships by hearing, recognizing, and valuing others.
- Presence - Demonstrate composure and confidence.
- Accountability - Have a clear sense of ownership and take personal responsibility for actions.
- Adaptability – Respond to changes willingly and recognize when to adjust based on the situation.
You Will Be Responsible For
Raising Major Gifts
- Your key responsibility is to personally maintain and staff a portfolio of 100-150 major gift/planned giving prospects in your territory with a capacity to make gifts of US$50,000 and more by maintaining frequent communication with prospects as part of a contact management system.
- In addition, you will average between 10 and 15 face-to-face meetings per month with prospects through identification, cultivation and stewardship visits; average 20 stewardship and/or cultivate phone calls per month; and conduct or manage 20 or more major gift solicitations annually.
- You will do this through maintaining performance standards and workflow processes established as part of a contact management system and through gathering, recording, and properly storing information about prospects and donors utilizing Raiser’s Edge.
- You will also follow department strategies, including the use of demographic overlay information for major gift identification, qualification, cultivation and solicitation.
- You will work closely with a number of staff, including a) lending support to the appropriate Annual Giving Officer(s) to encourage and secure major gifts for the Annual Fund and b) coordinating with your Planned Giving colleagues to identify and solicit planned gifts and to understand the principals and techniques associated with planned giving and financial and estate planning.
- You will also participate in the development of department objectives and strategies and develop tactics to meet individual and group goals
Working with Volunteers
- In your role as Major Gifts Officer, you will travel and work with volunteer committees on Annual Fund and Endowment Fund development matters at Rotary Institutes, districts and other Rotary meetings, as assigned.
- Develop and administer appropriate cultivation/stewardship events as needed, including estate planning seminars and major gift prospect functions.
- Frequent travel, including weekends, within assigned geographic territory is required, approximately 25%. As the position is based regionally, periodic travel to Rotary International headquarters in Evanston, Illinois is also required.
- As a remote employee, you will maintain a productive home office and regular communication with colleagues, donors and prospects as the position will be housed where the Major Gifts Officer resides. You will also adhere to the Rotary International Telecommuter Agreement.
Why work for Rotary?
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits package
- Progressive 401k matching contributions
- Above market and generous paid time off package
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- Flextime-several different work schedules to choose from
- Close to CTA, Metra, a variety of stores, and many food options