Job Title: Manager, Design
Area: Global Communications & Design
Reports to: Director, Global Communications & Design
Rotary is 1.2 million inspired business and professional leaders, in 35,000 Rotary clubs and more than 200 geographical areas united daily across cultures and occupations addressing illiteracy, disease, hunger, poverty, and lack of clean water. The fervent idea exchange celebrates diverse perspectives and facilitates positive change. Passion and engagement abound at Rotary International. In exchange for hard work and dedication, our employees are rewarded with competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. We offer all this and more. Come join us. Visit www.rotary.org to learn more.
Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
One of Rotary’s values is diversity, which we define as embracing diversity in thought, culture, and perspective. As such, we welcome and encourage highly-qualified candidates with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
The Manager of Design supports development and implementation of visual solutions to advance Rotary’s strategic initiatives and grow our brand.
This individual is an expert in concept development, branding and visual design, being able to design and also lead a world class team of designers. This individual understands that great design is about concept, craft and context, as well as visual communication and language.
The Manager of Design provides strategic leadership, art and design direction to deliverables such as brochures, presentations, displays, tradeshow exhibits, digital assets, signage, identity systems, illustrations, and more.
- Transform the organization goals into effective and compelling creative visual solutions.
- Define and evolve the creative design process, and ensure successful processes are developed and followed.
- Create and direct a wide range of ideas/designs to ensure the creative execution supports the brand strategy.
- Create and maintain a creative, flexible and collaborative atmosphere and culture.
- Oversee or participate in the design, development and execution of internal and external creative initiatives for online, offline, digital media, print and other assigned projects (may include but not limited to): marketing, speaker support, digital marketing or campaigns, web and mobile applications, animations, and print mediums (for example: books, signage, collateral, magazine ads, catalog page layout and design, style guides, toolkits).
- Hold self and the team accountable for their work by setting expectations, achieving commitments, providing feedback, and evaluating effectiveness.
- Drive internal implementation of brand look and feel.
- Maintain creative standards of quality and consistency of brand for all initiatives.
- Stand up for the quality of the creative output, even in the face of adversity.
- Manage individual projects, adhering to deadlines and workflow processes.
- Manage and approve (or delegate) freelance resources as needed, within established budgets.
- Assess performance metrics of work as well as emerging trends and optimize for ultimate success.
- Partner with various internal stakeholders to translate needs and business goals into polished design solutions.
- Utilize external resources when necessary to achieve the best overall results for any individual campaign and or project.
- Lead the team in delivering work that is globally relevant, on-strategy, on-budget and on-time.
- Lead, and inspire the Design team, promoting continual creative improvement and actively contributing to a culture of creative excellence.
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to develop design to inform, educate, motivate and engage internal and external audiences to support our global community.
- In collaboration with the Director of Global Communications and Design, build process, structure and discipline around design, including the implementation of metrics and analysis.
- Work with others in creative leadership to establish and implement design best practices, and evangelize creative services across the organization.
- Ensure that design objectives are matched to the strategic organizational goals.
- Stay abreast of developments in graphic design field to promote growth and share with team members.
Set goals, coach, staff, and motivate the team.
The Manager of Design is responsible for the annual budget for freelance design.
A team of six Design professionals.
Knowledge & Skills
- Absolute mastery of visual design and concept creation
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills
- Ability to both delegate and execute creative
- Sophisticated understanding of brand, color theory, typography, and composition
- Solid organizational skills with ability to meet multiple deadlines concurrently
- Ability to meet high standards for quality and accuracy under tight deadlines
- Enthusiasm and passion for creative and operational excellence, and measurable results
- Strong project and time management skills
- Excellent presentation skills and confidence in pitching ideas
- Strong global perspective and multi-cultural sensitivity
- Team player who values collaboration within and across functions of the organization
- Expert-level knowledge and experience with the Adobe Creative Cloud
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Office applications
- Hands-on understanding of multi-page, multi-product materials, promotional print materials, catalog, direct mail, and digital marketing
- Solid skills to pro-actively identify problems with projects or within project/team and apply solutions
Experience & Education
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, art, or similar field, or equivalent work experience required
- 5 years of experience in art direction, creative direction and leading a team of creatives
- Experience in branding and logo identity
- Experience in all facets of the print production process including color proofing, printing and press checks
- High-quality portfolio that demonstrates design, brand and digital campaign expertise
- Experience in design solutions to multiple locations around the world or culturally diverse audiences
- Fluent in today’s technologies and media with respect to design and marketing
- Fluency in a second language is highly desirable