Job Title: Learning Specialist (Convention)
Area: Learning & Development - Global Events
Reports to: Global Events Supervisor
Rotary unites people from all continents and cultures who take action to deliver real, long-term solutions to pressing issues facing our communities. Each year, Rotary members invest more than $200 million and 16 million volunteer hours to improve lives and create positive change in the world. In exchange for hard work and dedication in support of Rotary’s clubs and humanitarian initiatives, our employees receive competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. To learn more, visit http://www.rotary.org
Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
As a global network that strives to build a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change, Rotary values diversity and celebrates the contributions of people of all backgrounds, regardless of their age, ethnicity, race, color, abilities, religion, socioeconomic status, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
This position coordinates our annual convention’s education sessions. While working closely with Rotary staff and volunteers, the learning specialist evaluates session proposals, supports content development, promotes the program, works with vendors, and executes 75-100 breakout sessions during Rotary’s largest annual meeting (15,000-45,000 registrants). Your contribution will serve to support Rotary International's mission and strategic objectives by providing opportunities to enhance engagement for Rotarians from around the world.
You Will Have
- Minimum two years program of course development and implementation or two years meeting/seminar planning experience
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Comfort working with high-level volunteer and staff leadership
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Microsoft software
- Webinar and e-learning software experience
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal English)
- Ability to work on multiple priorities in a fast-paced, information-driven environment
- Analytical aptitude, problem-solving, and independent decision making skills
- High attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
You Are Good At
- Collaboration and information sharing
- Adult education and learning theory
- Instructional design and learning program development
- Cross-cultural competencies
- Survey execution and data analysis
- Prioritizing workload
- Motivating others
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
You Will Be Responsible For
Breakout Program Development
- Your key responsibility is to develop the breakout program concept related to the strategic priorities of the organization for each convention, along with senior staff and Rotary volunteers. To accomplish this, you must:
- Create, review, and edit written materials, including calls for proposals, speaker invitation letters, speaker bios, program books and scripts, and promotional materials.
- Execute cross-divisional proposal review process.
- Collaborate with appropriate individuals to coordinate logistical details, including food and beverage, simultaneous interpretation services, signage, audiovisual services, and meeting room setups.
- Contribute to advance memorandum and minutes for convention committee meetings and other meetings as assigned.
- Research and monitor board decisions, in relation to program content.
- Develop breakout program schedule for 75-100 concurrent breakout sessions.
Breakout Organizer Support
- The learning specialist is the primary contact for breakout session organizers. You will develop and implement a communication plan that includes emails, online resources, and webinars. You will communicate status updates and important information to organizers, as well as provide individualized communication and support before and during the convention. This support includes, but is not limited to: answering venue-related questions, sharing presentation best practices, and connecting organizers with staff experts.
Convention Program Evaluation
- You will be responsible for creating, distributing, and analyzing the overall convention evaluation and other survey methods in order to monitor the effectiveness of program content, promotion and background materials. In addition, you will create final reports and distribute them to relevant individuals and committees. You will track statistical data relating to breakout session attendance and convention program evaluation.
Convention Onsite Support
- In your role as Learning Specialist, you will provide onsite support during convention. You will implement the breakout program, session leaders meeting, orientations, and any related preconvention event as assigned. You will support the onsite staff for the breakout program.
Other duties as assigned
- Other duties may include, but are not limited to, working with relevant staff to develop the mobile app RFP and vendor selection, and supporting the convention mobile app event; developing e-learning modules; and working on special projects.
Why work for Rotary?
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits package
- Progressive 401k matching contributions
- Above market and generous paid time off package
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- On-site cafeteria and coffee bar with special pricing for Rotary employees
- Flextime-several different work schedules to choose from
- Close to CTA, Metra, a variety of stores, and many food options