Job Title: Member and Participant Communications Specialist
Area: Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Member Communications Team Lead
Rotary unites people from all continents and cultures who take action to deliver real, long-term solutions to pressing issues facing our communities. Each year, Rotary members invest more than $200 million and 16 million volunteer hours to improve lives and create positive change in the world. In exchange for hard work and dedication in support of Rotary’s clubs and humanitarian initiatives, our employees receive competitive salaries, flexible schedules, comprehensive benefits, and job enrichment. To learn more, visit http://www.rotary.org
Rotary’s Commitment to Diversity
As a global network that strives to build a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change, Rotary values diversity and celebrates the contributions of people of all backgrounds, regardless of their age, ethnicity, race, color, abilities, religion, socioeconomic status, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
The Member and Participant Communications Specialist helps communicate the business and priorities of Rotary to its internal audiences – including members and participants -- by developing comprehensive communications plans that drive awareness of strategic initiatives and issues that are relevant to Rotary’s members and other key stakeholders.
The Member and Participant Communications Specialist is responsible for assessing and planning the communications needs for Rotary corporate projects, products and initiatives, as assigned. This person will develop and manage relevant communications plans, which includes identifying appropriate channels through which to disseminate information to targeted audiences, drafting key messaging, and verifying that messaging aligns with the organization’s strategic objectives and goals. This person serves as the liaison between business units and the organization’s communications channels and subject matter experts. When appropriate, this person also collaborates with members of the marketing team to devise and implement integrated communications plans that inform and drive specific action related to projects or initiatives.
You Will Have
- Excellent project management skills
- Change management experience
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to multi-task
- Excellent writing skills
- Collaborative workstyle and works well on cross-functional teams
- Strong creative problem-solving skills
- Comfortable interacting with senior leaders
- High comfort level working on complex and sometimes ambiguous tasks
- Second language skills desirable
- Is familiar with working on collaborative platforms (SharePoint or similar platforms)
- Ability to travel (>10%)
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, with a preference for a degree in communications, public relations, or journalism.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience as a communications professional and generalist
You Are Good At
- Writing communications for various channels and audiences, including email marketing messages, newsletter articles, talking points for senior leadership, video scripts, social media posts, and various other communications collateral.
- Taking complex concepts and presenting them in clear and compelling ways across a variety of channels and audiences
- Speaking in front of others and interfacing with various levels of leadership
- Understanding various audiences and how to deliver effective communications to them
- Paying close attention to detail
- Coaching and influencing others at all levels within the organization
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Managing and juggling multiple priorities
- Making sound decisions
- Being a great team player on a high performing team
You Will Be Responsible For
- Communicating the business of Rotary to its members through the development, management and execution of communications plans.
- Managing change management initiatives for Rotary projects.
- Drafting corporate communication and member-facing messages for organizational projects and initiatives as it relates to the communications plan, including email marketing messages, newsletter articles, talking points for senior leadership, blog posts, staff communications, and various other collateral.
- Promoting the PolioPlus program to members to share successes, provide updates, promote Rotary resources, and the outline the future of the Rotary’s efforts to eradicate polio worldwide.
- Maintaining relationships with business units to assess their member communications needs.
- Maintaining relationships with communications channel owners and business units to usher corporate communications messages through.
- Knowing the brand and business objectives and can clearly communicate a point of view regarding strategic issues.
- Establishing an effective balance of advisory and advocacy skills with business units and account teams to make recommendations.
- Ensuring that all work is accurate, delivered on time, and on budget.
- Ensuring that communications are brand-appropriate, transparent, clear, and align with Rotary’s vision and strategic goals.
- Establish metrics to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of communications
- Managing special projects as needed
- Collaboration - Build partnerships and work with others to meet shared objectives.
- Communication – Be open to receiving ideas from diverse viewpoints and able to communicate messages so that they are universally understood.
- Innovation – Move Rotary beyond traditional ways of thinking.
- Strategy – Identify Rotary’s opportunities and design approaches that align with our strategic goals.
- Adaptability – Respond to changes willingly and recognize when to adjust based on the situation.
- Accountability - Have a clear sense of ownership and take personal responsibility for actions.
Why work for Rotary?
- Contribute to making the world a better place
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits package
- Progressive 401k matching contributions
- Above market and generous paid time off package
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- On-site cafeteria and coffee bar with special pricing for Rotary employees
- Flextime-several different work schedules to choose from
- Close to CTA, Metra, a variety of stores, and many food options