The Director of Membership is responsible for directing the organization’s strategic membership activities by planning and executing strategies for member recruitment and retention for a global membership.
This position reports directly to the Chief Programs and Member Services Office, collaborates closely with the Communications and Marketing group on the organization’s brand and overall membership marketing strategy and serves as a member of the Programs and Member Services Strategy team.
This leader serves as a liaison between the staff team and volunteer leadership to further the mission and growth of Rotary International.
The primary responsibilities for the position will include:
- Planning and implementing regional membership plans, to include member recruitment, retention, development of new clubs and new member orientation.
- Implementing business plans consistent with the goals of the RI Strategic Plan and the Future Vision Plan.
- Ensuring that all clubs and members receive world class customer service from a highly qualified staff, recognizing regional and cultural nuances and proactively addressing these as needed.
- Interfacing with senior volunteer leadership on a regular basis on issues related to membership development.
- Takes a proactive role in building strong internal relationships system-wide so that Membership Development is viewed as a higher level, strategically valued unction that works collaboratively to support the global business interests.
- Analyzing the effectiveness and efficiencies of membership development efforts regionally.
- Negotiating, adhering to, monitoring, and evaluating Service Level Agreements (SLA) with other areas of the business.
- Managing and motivating employees through ongoing coaching, support of professional development opportunities, and instilling the expectation that all managers and supervisors are to be actively engaged in overall employee development.
- Reviewing and approving internal operating practices and procedures, encouraging innovation and streamlining where appropriate.
- Preparing reports and presentations on membership development initiatives for the General Secretary and Boards of governance.
- Manages membership related pilot initiatives as needed by the General Secretary and the Boards.
- Oversees all people management activities for the group (performance management, career development, training, compensation, succession planning, recruiting, promotions, terminations, etc.).
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
- Earn the trust, confidence, and respect of the volunteer leadership and the functional organization by listening, learning, and building relationships.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of regional membership plans, including leading a cross-functional group of staff to drive the implementation and support of the plans, developing resource plans for directors, and establishing measures for the evaluation of the regional approach.
- Work closely with Rotary leadership to develop and implement fresh, forward-thinking membership development strategies.
- Demonstrate an understanding and respect for the culture of Rotary International and a passion for its mission.
- Collaborate with the IT, Evaluation and Analysis area and Web teams to ensure date quality of the membership database, analyze membership trends and demographics oversee and develop model regarding data on membership retention, costs, life time value etc.
- Assist with the development of a new governance structure of volunteers to ensure continuity in membership development strategies and communication.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
The candidate should have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in senior leadership roles. The ideal candidate will be/have:
- Experience in a leadership role in a non-profit membership organization, with direct membership development experience. Experience working in an international organization preferred.
- Executive presence, a dynamic professional style that inspires confidence both internally and externally.
- Experience managing staff and budget.
- The ability to respect a successful culture and its values, yet earn support and consensus to create new and higher standards for functional performance.
- A team player with a “coach/player” mentality who is willing to “roll up their sleeves” and make sure the job gets done.
- A leader who builds strong, high performing teams and develops and mentors talent.
- A leader with the highest standards of integrity, ethics, and performance.
- Strong project management and organizational skills required
- Excellent written and communications required
- Must be able to travel, to attend events and other off-site functions
- BS or BA degree, preferably in business or marketing. An MBA or other advanced degree is highly desirable.