Job Title: Systems Engineer - Infrastructure
Area IT: Operations & Infrastructure
Reports to: Manager, Global Infrastructure
Work within a team to direct, manage and operate the corporate technology infrastructure to ensure high levels of ability, performance, stability, security as well as the long term viability of the underlying technologies. Lead and contribute to multiple infrastructure-related projects with a variety of complex activities include planning, designing, developing, installing, configuring, proactively maintaining, supporting, and optimizing IS systems. This individual also drives and manages the planning and implementation of policies and procedures in accordance with Rotary International technology standards and goals.
Proficient system engineer for Virtualization Infrastructure (VMware required, Microsoft and others preferred) with general understanding of all aspects of IS infrastructure and strength in one or more of the following areas:
- Virtualization- VMware VSphere 4.1 and up
- Back-up and Recovery Technologies-Replication Manager, Avamar, Recover Point
- SAN Storage/IP Storage/SAN/NAS technologies-Working With SANs/Creating LUNS, logical disks and introducing them to virtualized servers
- Networking (Cisco preferred)
- Strong skills and experience in troubleshooting and resolving complex infrastructure, server and application issues including root cause analysis, stabilization and remediation.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with other IS teams as well as individuals and vendors in other countries.
- Three years prior experience with server, and network infrastructure engineering and operations, preferably in a global organization including day-to-day operational requirements, planned changes and their impact, and measurement of performance against service level agreements.
- Minimum 3 years relevant information technology experience/server and network support.
- Must have a minimum of a College degree, preferably in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Advanced Certification: VCP, VCAP, or other industry recognized advanced certification.Microsoft and Cisco certifications (such as MCSE and CCNP) preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- The individual should demonstrate initiative, exercise good judgment, and have the ability to achieve results through others.
- Must have a demonstrated and visible client advocacy focus and excellent client relationship skills.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot complex issues
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with little manager oversight.
- Ability to plan, organize, monitor, and utilize IS operations resources efficiently.
- Ability to analyze, diagnose, design, plan, execute and evaluate work to time, cost and quality targets.
- Ability to analyze business requirements and advise management on options for operational improvement.
- Ability to utilize company-specific policies and practices for planning and administration of budget.
- Effective use of a broad range of factors, assumptions, frameworks and perspectives when solving problems and making decisions in a disciplined and systematic fashion.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing and documentation, are critical.
- Ability to produce a variety of business documents that demonstrate command of language, clarity of thought and orderliness of presentation.
- Must be highly organized with a high attention to detail.
- Ability to lift 35 lbs to mount servers and networking equipment
- Proactive philosophy towards network management
- Willing to travel Internationally if necessary
- Ability and willingness to provide support during off hours when necessary.
Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Familiarity with all aspects of Virtualization Infrastructure (VMware required and Microsoft preferred).
- SAN storage administration (EMC required, Vblock experience preferred )
- Networking concepts
- Cisco routing/switching
- Knowledge of Microsoft products including
- Windows 2003, 2008, 2008R2
- Exchange 2007 and/or Higher
- Office Communication Server/Lync
- Active Directory
- Backup and Recovery concepts and techniques
- Replication Manager, AVAMAR and Recover Point
- Monitoring and logging
- Hardware diagnoses and repair
- Vblock Knowledge
- Google Search Appliance Knowledge
- Basic HVAC and UPS knowledge
- Some Unix Knowledge
- Work with other Operations staff members to manage RI’s virtualization Infrastructure
- Work with other IT teams and infrastructure engineers to support 24x7 availability and required performance levels and SLAs for all infrastructure and systems including servers, applications, database systems, infrastructure, networking, telecommunications and security systems.
- Investigate and perform root cause analysis on production infrastructure issues and recommend short and long term remediation activities
- Manage all assigned infrastructure areas; Identify, recommend, schedule, and implement network and server improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
- Assist with the operation and testing of the Disaster Recovery plans.
- Assist with the deployment of storage and networking equipment including but not limited to: Vblock upgrades, Cisco equipment (switches, routers, firewalls, etc.) Riverbed WAN accelerators, F5 Load Balancers. As well as various other miscellaneous hardware when needed.
- Installation and support of Server Hardware and blade servers: Dell, Cisco, IBM, HP.
- Assist with the management and monitoring of the Data Center including but not limited to: HVAC, UPS, and capacity planning.
- Assist with backups and data movement using EMC Avamar, Replication Manager and Recover Point when needed.
- Provides support as necessary for off-site meetings such as the International Assembly and the International Convention.
- Use third party software to monitor and log Networking, Applications, Windows and Unix systems
- Assist in the creation of accounts for Active Directory Domains and Unix systems when needed.
- Works to ensure established Service Level Agreements in areas of responsibility are met.
- Develop comprehensive technical, network and operational documentation (network diagrams, technical procedures, etc).
- Implement policies, procedures, and technologies leveraging industry standards to improve operations and compliance.
- Maintain and manage the inventory of assets
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- Acts as a project manager when assigned by IT management.
- Works with IT management team to budget variances to within 5% and reports deviations to management. Works closely with managers to track software and hardware assets to ensure cost efficient purchasing and utilization of owned assets.
- Direct interaction with all levels of IT staff located in Evanston and Pune. Limited contact with other Rotary staff, RI Sr. Leadership and Rotarians.
- Hardware/Software vendors, licensing associations, maintenance technicians, technical support engineers.