|Position: Director of Development|
|Job Id: 410|
|# of Openings: 1|
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
SUMMER SEARCH NEW YORK
While young people from low-income communities – who are disproportionately young people of color – face systemic inequities in school, in the workforce, and in life, they possess unique strengths, resilience and tremendous potential. When provided with support and resources, these young people fulfill their potential and achieve success in school, work and life.
Through a combination of mentoring and transformative experiences, Summer Search supports young people to successfully transition from adolescence into adulthood. We aim to unleash the potential of our young people while also building a toolkit for navigating and challenging systemic barriers to higher education and career opportunities.
At the onset of a new 4-year national strategic plan, Summer Search NYC is seeking an inspiring and collaborative development leader to advance our successful fundraising program and position the organization for further growth. In close partnership with the NYC Executive Director, a highly engaged regional Board of Directors, and a hard-working and passionate 5-member development team, this hire will oversee strategies to raise more than $4M in Fiscal Year 2020. Building upon relationships with major donors and institutional funders, the Director of Development will seize the opportunity to substantially and sustainably grow Summer Search NYC in order to deepen our impact and serve more young leaders of today and tomorrow in New York City.
Specifically, the Director of Development will:
• Oversee the development function of Summer Search NYC in order to achieve an annual fundraising goal of ~$4M in 2020 and position the team well for year-over-year growth.
• Build, implement, and track against an annual fundraising plan inclusive of strategies for individual and major giving (65%) and institutional giving (35%), inclusive of event giving, which in 2020 is expected to generate $2M+ in revenue through one major annual fundraising event.
• Supervise, coach, and motivate a 5-member development team to take personal ownership for donor engagement, meet donor portfolio goals, ensure strong development operations internally and externally and move as a cohesive team.
• Partner effectively with NYC’s Board of Directors to retain and recruit new members and maximize their leadership and networks in fundraising participation; lead and steward the Development Committee.
• Play a highly external role and personally manage a $1M+ portfolio comprised of approximately 25 of our high-net worth donors and prospects, primarily from Board and individual major donors.
• Collaborate with a team of internal stakeholders on donor strategies, including partnering closely with the NYC Executive Director and national development team.
• Participate in a cohort of national and regional development peers to share and learn best practices across the Summer Search network.
• In reflection of Summer Search’s mission, ensure “asset-based” positioning of Summer Search students, families, and communities in all donor-facing communication and interactions.
• Participate in staff and Board learning about racial equity, diversity, and inclusion.
• Serve as external facing ambassador for Summer Search with existing supporters and the community of potential future supporters. Lead donor acquisition as well as full cycle of donor engagement through solicitation and gift close.
• Provide site-wide leadership through collaboration with three-person senior leadership team for NYC.
WHO YOU ARE
The Director of Development calls for an inspirational, collaborative, and relationship-driven leader with a track record in fundraising and donor relations. Specifically, this hire will bring:
• FUNDRAISING EXPERIENCE: At least 6 years of professional nonprofit development inclusive of overseeing effective fundraising strategies, and personally leading major donor solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship resulting in 5- and 6-figure gifts.
• PASSION FOR MISSION: A commitment to Summer Search’s mission of .unleashing students’ potential through mentoring and transformative experiences
• RESULTS-ORIENTATION: Proven success in growing a fundraising budget by creating and executing clear metrics and driving results according to plan. Experience leveraging senior staff and board members in executing donor strategies.
• ENTREPRENEURIAL MINDSET: Resourcefulness and a “get it done” attitude, with the ability to drive innovation, change, and growth and maintain a high degree of flexibility and creativity in a dynamic environment. Ability to integrate fundraising best practices with new thinking and approaches.
• TEAM AND BOARD LEADERSHIP: Skill as a team leader and people manager, with experience in and managing direct reports and developing high-performing teams to meet ambitious goals. Prior experience partnering with Board members on development initiatives (e.g. events or development committee) is required.
• INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Track record of building authentic partnerships that demonstrate respect, empathy, and connection. Strong communicator with the ability to inspire a variety of audiences and articulate the importance of an organization’s work in a concise and compelling manner.
• CULTURAL HUMILITY: Cultural awareness and sensitivity in working with diverse and low-income populations, with an understanding of systems of oppression facing low-income communities of color.
• VALUES-ALIGNMENT: The ability to thrive in a collaborative and relationship-driven work culture, demonstrating personal qualities of empathy, openness, and authenticity.
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge or comparable fundraising databases is a plus.
• Experience at a national, multi-site nonprofit is a plus.
The salary range for this position is $95,000- $120,000
We are committed to staff learning, growth and development. Our investment includes:
• Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
• Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
• 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
• Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 18 holidays (3 floating holidays of your choice, a birthday day-off, 10 company-wide holidays, and a 1-week December closure).
• Individual, local, regional and national training
• A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization
• An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care/community care
• Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and racial justice, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission. We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team. We hope you will join us as we continue to build a justice-centered organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
Click "Apply for this Position" below to submit a resume and targeted cover letter that answers the question “Why are you interested in the Director of Development opportunity at Summer Search?” Please address cover letter to Peter Retzlaff, NYC Executive Director.
SUMMER SEARCH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Apply for this Position
|Go back to the job list|