SENIOR DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATE - EVENTS AND DATABASE SPECIALIST
SUMMER SEARCH SEATTLE
While young people from low-income communities – who are disproportionately young people of color – face systemic inequities in school, in the workforce, and in life, they possess unique strengths, resilience and tremendous potential. When provided with support and resources, these young people fulfill their potential and achieve success in school, work and life.
Through a combination of mentoring and transformative experiences, Summer Search supports young people to successfully transition from adolescence into adulthood. We aim to unleash the potential of our young people while also building a toolkit for navigating and challenging systemic barriers to higher education and career opportunities.
Summer Search Seattle is seeking a Senior Development Associate who loves all things development operations -- from data to events management -- and is eager to contribute to a successful $1.5M fundraising program. Reporting to the Director of Development, this position will use Raiser’s Edge to meticulously manage donor data, develop the reports and systems to ensure effective and efficient local development initiatives, and lead the execution of large-scale fundraising events and smaller donor cultivation events. With enthusiasm to learn and collaborate with a 4-member development team, this position will have the opportunity to help Summer Search Seattle deepen our impact and serve more young leaders of today and tomorrow in South King County.
Specifically, the Senior Development Associate will:
Development Operations Management
- On both a regular and as-needed basis, analyze data and run reports to show progress on donor strategies, including major donor cultivation and solicitation, fundraising events, and annual fund activities.
- Create tools and dashboards to support external fundraising staff in managing their portfolios effectively and efficiently and meeting annual revenue goals.
- Run scheduled and ad hoc reports, involving running queries and pulling data, including mailing lists, from RE database, manipulating in Excel, and presenting in an appropriate format.
- Coordinate with local and national program teams to build reports in our CoPilot (Salesforce) database on key areas that support our development activities, particularly student demographics and outcomes data.
- Collaborate with development peers across the Summer Search network to share and adopt best practices, recommending and implementing new data and operational strategies and tactics for the Seattle team.
- Assist in the preparation and creation of materials for Board meetings, as needed.
- Oversee the execution of large-scale signature event and smaller cultivation and fundraising events, including an annual gala for up to 1,000 guests and $500K fundraising goal, including:
- Event project and data management: Create and manage the timeline, program, task management, vendors, and budget. Support data needs of development events, including utilizing historical data to inform event fundraising strategy, mailing list development, RSVP tracking, day-of event production, and event follow-up.
- Event relationship management: Partner with local development leadership to identify and secure event volunteer leadership (e.g. co-chairs and planning committee); lead planning meetings; serve as external “face of the event” with individual donors, prospects, and corporate contacts.
- Program development: Partner with local and national colleagues to craft event program and provide support in preparing event speakers (e.g. staff, students, alumni).
- Marketing and materials: partner with national communications team to develop event concept, graphic design/production/printing; manage invitation and RSVP process.
- Day-of execution: ensure smooth logistics; oversee attendee check-in process; managing staff and volunteers working at the event.
- As a central component of all work, develop event programming and messaging that aligns with Summer Search’s values and commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion, namely elevating the many assets and strengths of our students, our alumni, and the communities we serve.
- Collaborate with the program team to engage staff, students, and alumni in events hosted by the development team and to provide logistical support for student-facing events.
WHO YOU ARE
- You have at least 3 years of work experience, ideally supporting a nonprofit development function at a nonprofit organization, with demonstrated experience in data management and in large-scale event management.
- You share a genuine commitment to Summer Search’s mission of unleashing students’ potential through mentoring and transformative experiences and to fostering a culture of equity.
- You bring prior experience using Raiser’s Edge (preferred), Salesforce, or comparable CRM database, as well as advanced Excel skills; fluidity and ease with technology and data analysis.
- You have eagle-eye attention to detail and project management skills; organized and systematic in managing multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- You build and manage relationships easily, with demonstrated ability in partnering with external stakeholders (such as board members, event committees, major donors, corporate partners) and engaging them in meaningful ways.
- You are able to “manage up, down, and across” to use staff time effectively in order to achieve goals.
- You are a resourceful and results-oriented self-starter, with an ability to thrive in an authentic, feedback-driven culture and roll-up-your-sleeves environment.
- You have a proven ability to collaborate as part of a team, proactively in sharing information and ideas with colleagues and holding self and others to high standards.
- You are highly motivated with capacity and desire to learn on-the-job.
- You employ critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with an ability to gather and use data to understand challenges and find solutions.
We are committed to staff learning, growth and development. Our investment includes:
- Competitive salaries. The salary range for this position is $42,000- $48,000
- Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
- Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
- 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
- Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 18 holidays (3 floating holidays of your choice, a birthday day-off, 10 company-wide holidays, and a 1-week December closure).
- Individual, local, regional and national training; plus a $200 professional development stipend for external training
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization
- An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care/community care
- Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and racial justice, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission. We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team. We hope you will join us as we continue to build a justice-centered organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
HOW TO APPLY
Select "Apply for this Position" below to submit a resume and targeted cover letter, addressed to Melanie Lyons, Seattle Executive Director, that answers the question, “Why are you interested in the Senior Development Associate opportunity at Summer Search?”
SUMMER SEARCH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER