JOB SUMMARY: The three primary components of this position include physical security, system monitoring, and first tier technical support. The NOC Technician’s primary role is to provide 24x7 network monitoring of voice, video, and data transport and switching networks, field operations support, technical customer support to clients, and internal associates. This position is cross trained between the NOC Role and the Security Role (potentially spending 50% of time in each role).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, FUNCTIONS & KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (include but are not limited to)
- Responds to client communications and resolve problems to the client’s satisfaction or escalate as appropriate.
- Identifies, documents, and implements process improvement initiatives.
- Provide hands on support for physical hardware in the data center.
- Researches and resolves multi-platform O/S and network related issues.
- Prioritizes and organizes daily follow-up ensuring timely resolution of client requests.
- Monitor and report on ongoing maintenance and outage activity. Communicate ongoing issues to the company and customers as appropriate.
- Perform 24 x 7 x 365 network monitoring of voice, video, and data transport and switching networks.
- Respond to monitoring system alarms and initiate appropriate corrective actions including reporting power outages to the serving electric utility, correlating alarms with customer or network circuits, reporting problems to interconnecting carriers when applicable, and dispatching on-call technicians.
- Monitors all critical facility infrastructure, including: UPS, generator, and HVAC systems.
- Maintains comprehensive documentation on events such as alerts, service disruptions, and critical incidents.
- Works with NOC leadership to maintain the building management, surveillance, and system monitoring applications.
- Screens and assists visitors and customers with a legitimate need to gain entry to the facility through the admittance process.
- Resolves emergency situations by directing actions on location; coordinating with management and law enforcement personnel as necessary.
- Monitors and maintains physical access controls.
- Patrols data center facilities checking for unsafe conditions, security violations, and other hazards.
- Communicates security policies and procedures. Documents and escalates security concerns and events.
QUALIFICATIONS & PREREQUISITES
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and be able to pass a full background check
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Associates Degree preferred; and/or High School Diploma with equivalent work experience
- Windows / Linux System administration experience
- Associate level Certification or higher (A+, Network+, Microsoft Technology Associate VMware Certified Associate, etc.)
- Previous Data Center, NOC, or enterprise IT / telecommunications experience
- Experience using and/or supporting Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, LINUX, TCP/IP Networking, and, VMWare
- Experience in a customer service, technical or client support role
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Strong organizational & time management skills required
- Proficiency in MS Office products
- Hardware/software installation, configuration, and troubleshooting experience in supporting complex computing environments
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with all levels of organization
- Detail oriented, highly motivated, proactive, and self-directed
- Maintain positive attitude, a desire to learn new technologies and the ability to handle interruptions in a challenging environment