This position could be located in Larose, LA or Gonzales, LA depending on location of candidate.
The Network Administrator is responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of EATEL’s packet switching networks. This position supports EATEL’s internet product suite including voice, video, and data.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, FUNCTIONS & KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES: (include but are not limited to)
Designs, implements, and maintains EATEL’s packet switching networks
- Maintains security of systems by following industry and EATEL standards; reviews log files to detect suspicious behavior and activity; performs research to determine required improvements; and develops and documents procedures
- Maintains accurate data on the systems by ensuring consistency with peer systems and with operational/billing systems
- Maintains documentation of system configurations
- Employs automatic reporting systems on all critical services to ensure that problems are reported as quickly as possible. Reports major problems to Network Operations Manager as discovered
- Maintains a stock of critical spares to ensure fast turnaround of any system component failure
- Performs research and development to stay abreast of industry trends and new technologies
- Performs monthly studies of network fabric/matrices of routers and switches to identify and predict exhaustion of available resources
- Keeps all edge routers, switches, and dial-up routers running at peak efficiency
- Limits necessary "down-time" to predefined maintenance windows and communicate all scheduled outages well in advance of the actual event
- Stays current on the latest software and hardware versions of network elements and makes timely recommendations where appropriate for upgrades and additions to the network
- Maximizes efficiency of hardware, software and services
- Prepares requisitions for necessary equipment and follows company procedures for processing such paperwork; installs and tests equipment upon arrival; returns faulty equipment to manufacturer for repair or replacement and maintains all records of such transactions
- Keeps records of all Internet related circuits and lines and has procedures in place to report troubles to the appropriate service providers
Maintains and retains satisfied EATEL customers
- Provides prompt, courteous service to all internal and external customers
- Prioritizes and addresses customer needs and demands in a professional manner, providing follow-up and developing cooperative relationships
- Provides internet technical support to the Customer Support Department as needed
- Participates in supporting the timely completion of service order.
- Responds immediately to service affecting outages and returns network to service
- Maximizes service availability by designing redundancy and backup systems wherever possible and minimizes downtime by limiting intrusive maintenance activities to scheduled maintenance windows
Ensures that departmental goals are met
- Identifies opportunities and recommends methods to improve customer service, work processes, and financial performance
- Assists in design and implementation of quality improvement initiatives on departmental and organizational levels
- Assists team members in completion of tasks and assignments to ensure continuity of service
- Ensures all recurring tasks are documented in written form and documentation is kept current; includes such important information as disaster recovery plans, network diagrams, vendor/manufacturer contact information, etc.
- Produces periodic reports and special studies as directed by the Manager of Switching
- Works with the Network Operations Manager on the planning and implementation of new Internet related services
- Assists Network Operations Manager in preparation of annual capital and expense budgets as it relates to the internet network and services
- Assists Network Operations in preparation of annual capital and expense budgets as it relates to the internet network and services
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Exhibits basic knowledge of IP networking including IPv4 and IPv6 addressingAre there any special skills needed to adequately perform this job? For example, supervision, computer skills, typing, wpm, etc. , subnetting, , subnetting, dynamic/static assignment, DHCP, ARP, and IP routing protocols including EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, LDP; and concepts like Pseudo-Wire, VLAN trunking, VoIP, and IMS
- Exhibits basic understanding of network transmission technologies including Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Switched Ethernet, Frame Relay, V.35, DS-1 and DS-3 Time Division Multiplexing, ATM, and xDSL
- Exhibits basic understanding of networking protocols and tools such as FTP, TELNET, PING, TRACEROUTE, and NSLOOKUP
- Exhibits basic understanding of Cisco Internetworking Operating System (IOS and IOS-XR); able to configure and maintain Cisco routers, switches, and firewalls
- Exhibits basic understanding of Juniper Network Operating System (JUNOS); able to configure and maintain Juniper routers, switches, and firewalls
- Able to operate cable test equipment to isolate and repair network wiring problems; able to run cables and install connectors for RS-232 (DB9 and DB25), 10/100/1000BaseT, and T1/T3 connections
- Possesses a thorough understanding of router hardware diagnostics, component maintenance, and concepts including memory, CPU, hard drive, NIC, power supply, fuse, etc.
- Exhibits a basic understanding of network monitoring protocols, concepts, and/or platforms like SNMP, MIB databases, and MRTG
QUALIFICATIONS & PREREQUISITES
- High School Diploma and/or equivalent
- 0 – 3 years of Network Administration experience
- Works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role. Work is closely managed
- CCNA or JNCIA or Equivalent knowledge.