Title: Lead Electrical Engineer
Studio: Assigned Studio
Reports To: Studio Leader / Studio assigned upper level senior engineer
Lead Electrical Engineers are strong engineers responsible for developing technical deliverables. This position is responsible for the development of power distribution system concept, single line diagrams, load studies and analysis, grounding, lighting, coordination and arc flash studies as well as equipment selection. Responsibilities include assisting with planning, conducting, and evaluating approaches to meet project objectives in a timely, cost-effective fashion.
II. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform engineering tasks and work with engineers and designers to produce projects in design.
- Review electrical designs per QC/QA standards.
- Assist CA representative in reviewing submittals and answering questions from projects in the field.
- Develop working knowledge of miscellaneous office equipment technology such as phones, copiers, plotters, scanners and computers.
- Willingness to accept responsibility and accountability.
- On time and dependable.
- Keep accurate records of billable time and submits time sheets on time.
- Completes tasks thoroughly and on time.
- Understand and follows company structure.
- Understands and follows department standards and procedures.
- Understand floor plans, sections, details and complex architectural concepts.
- Able to delegate information to electrical designers and coops effectively.
- Preparation and modification of engineering drawings using computer-aided systems such as AutoCad or Revit.
- Work within multi-discipline project teams to develop drawing and specification documents for issuance to architects, contractors and building owners.
- Proactively communicate any concerns, problems, or technical decisions that impact the project.
- Offer solutions and value engineering where required.
- Understand complex electrical principals used in design.
- Understand branch circuiting and panel schedule calculations including diversity calculations.
- Create and understand all aspects of a single line diagram.
- Motor connections and coordination with mechanical, plumbing and technology disciplines.
- Typical systems engineered at this level are single line diagrams, load studies and analysis, grounding, lighting, lighting controls, power devices, electrical distribution and emergency generation systems, fire alarm, lightning protection and life safety systems.
- Understand grounding and bonding of most systems.
- A very thorough understanding of the NEC is required.
- Perform electrical calculations such as voltage drop, fault current, diversity, etc.
- Perform and analyze lighting calculations and manipulate to obtain a required light level.
- Lighting controls documentation to include switching, dimming, photocells, motion sensors, DALI system design, and preparation of relay cabinet schedules.
- Develop sketches or schematics, layouts, details, and/or drawings as required.
- Participate in company technical training to gain understanding of process and knowledge of field.
- Create trainings to teach others basic tasks within the department.
- Takes part in collaboration on projects to develop a plan for actions required to meet deadlines.
- Read short circuit fault calculations and coordination studies.
- Performs and demonstrates lighting energy compliance using ComCheck, Title 24, FlaCom and other energy compliance software and provides supporting documentation.
- Understand and apply basic building codes, life safety code, NFPA and the NEC.
- Understand the risks associated with electricity and follow all safety precautions set forth.
- Perform basic opinion of costs.
- Perform detailed electrical surveys.
- Research and prepare basic reports for feasibility studies, life cycle analysis, and other similar reports.
Expectations of all electrical engineers
- Demonstrate acceptance of responsibility; show pride in work performed; demonstrate flexibility in acceptance of assignments and schedules; maintain professional behavior and appearance; exhibit dependability.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
There may be direct supervisory responsibilities associated with this position. Studio directors may assign electrical engineers, designers or co-ops to be under lead engineer’s supervision.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Is aligned with our culture and core Mission/Vision/Values.
- Possesses ability to clearly, confidently and effectively communicate with staff
- Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals. Motivates all KLH team mates, toward excellence in customer; service, care and “why” based solutions.
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
- Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Demonstrated skills and abilities needed to coordinate, facilitate, and participate in a collaborative approach to the completion of tasks or assignments. May include supervision of others.
- Possession of a designated level of technical skill, knowledge, and the ability to keep up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise. May be acquired through academic, apprenticeship or on-the-job training or a combination of these. Possession of knowledge of statutes/codes/regulations, including program procedures, methods and practices and their application to specific situations, usually acquired on the job or in lower level positions in the same or similar career path.
Engineering Review, Decision Making & Analysis
- Knowledge of and ability to use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions and/or reaching conclusions. Ability to make decisions and take action consistent with available facts, constraints, and anticipated consequences. Identify issues, obtain relevant information, relate and compare data from different sources, and identify alternate solutions.
- Identifies and plans for resources. Approves engineering designs and/or program/project specifications of other engineers/design professionals to meet desired compliance with engineering principles, standards, statutes, codes, regulations and design.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S) from a four-year university or equivalent experience is required. Professional Engineering license preferred.
- LEED AP is preferred
- 5+ years working in an MEP engineering consulting firm on multiple building types.
- Verbal – Convey easily and quickly any message; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens attentively and seeks clarification; Maintain professional nonverbal communication analogous to situation
- Written - Writes clearly and informatively with a high level of sophistication; Presents numerical data effectively.
- Basic computing skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, and Access.
- Proficient in AutoCAD / Design Master – Electrical or Revit and Visual / AGI32 lighting packages. Proficiency in Easy Power or SKM preferred.
VI. Performance Metrics
- Accuracy of completing tasks
- Timeliness of completing tasks
- Willingness to help and go the extra mile
- Consistency in performing and completing tasks
- Ability to gain engineering knowledge and consistently apply it
- Thoroughness and accuracy in completing calculations
- Attention to drafting detail
- Understanding and application of company standards
- Provides departmental process improvement ideas for optimizing efficiency
- Attends department technical meetings
- Provides input to department meetings
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of complex principals of electrical engineering.
- Creativity of design