Media & Member Communications Manager, SBM
CLIENT ASSOCIATION: Society Behavioral Medicine, SBM
POSITION REPORTS TO: Executive Director, SBM
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Exempt
Responsible for the overall direction, implementation and oversight of Society of Behavioral Medicine’s communications strategies
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES (Minimum of 37.5 hours/week):
- Develop, direct, and implement marketing and communication plans that help SBM achieve its mission and advance its strategic directions. Plans to include:
- Use of technologies and other means to identify members’ interests and needs according to demographic breakdowns and other stratifications; use of technologies to continuously convey outcomes or members’ return on investment and keep members apprised of initiatives, events, opportunities and their associated outcomes.
- Engagement of members and prospective members and development of a system that measures member engagement in meaningful ways allowing for continuous quality improvement
- Serve as TBM managing editor; responsibilities to include monitoring and managing the submission system and progressive steps; high-level support for editor as she develops and implements her vision for the journal; overseeing contract with publisher, ensuring compliance; and other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate publication and posting of health policy briefs, endorsement and sign-on opportunities, annual meeting media releases, fund development materials, and other publications as required.
- Update SBM website, www.sbm.org
- Draft and post day-to-day content and new features
- Draft, edit, and coordinate various reports and publications, including but not limited to:
- Award and presentation scripts for Annual Meeting and Annual Business Meeting
- Membership marketing materials
- Work in collaboration with managing editor, editor, and publisher of SBM’s two journals to promote content; manage invoicing system for the two journals’ editorial offices
- Manage and monitor communication-related budgets
- Serve as liaison to various SBM councils and committees including but not restricted to 1) the Membership Council; and 2) the website/social media working group
- Serve as central communications leader during SBM annual meeting, ensuring that staff work in a coordinated and efficient manner.
AMOUNT OF REQUIRED TRAVEL: One to two weeks per year; evening and weekend work may be required
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications preferred; minimum of 4 years professional experience in marketing and/or public relations. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Occasional lifting of 20-30 pounds of boxed publications or materials.