Madison, WI - Hilldale location
- Flexibility during department hours required including weekends and some holidays.
Summary: The Produce Manager directs and coordinates activities involved with the production, sale and or distribution of Metcalfe’s Market Produce products. Ensures hiring, training and supervision of the staff. Facilitates sales goals, inventory rotation, scheduling, safety and sanitation and any division of responsibility assigned by the store manager. The Produce Manager is required to assist customers and maintain complaint resolution with an energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines and established practices set by Metcalfe’s Market.
- Supports the department’s staff efforts and works through timely response to questions with a caring and appreciative attitude and demonstrated effectiveness in dealing with employee issues.
- Determines variety and quantity of products and department supplies to be ordered or produced, according to orders and/or sales projections.
- Monitors and controls department costs and expenses; includes maintaining proper ordering and inventory control, ensuring proper weighing procedures, controlling shrink, and monitoring displays.
- Conducts inventories and cycle counts as required.
- Develops and achieves the departmental budget, such as departmental contribution to overhead, margin, gross profit, labor and purchase goals.
- Directs and schedules department personnel and activities; including timekeeping.
- Provides insight and input in department personnel decisions such as hire, discipline, reward and termination.
- Ensures proper training to all employees.
- Maintains accurate personnel records for all direct reports.
- Maintains a safe work environment for employees, vendors and customers.
- Observes sales floor and back stock conditions; takes action to correct areas of opportunity.
- Monitors and addresses customer issues or questions.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Works toward continuous quality improvement.
- Stays current with changing company technology, including software programs.
- Leads, coaches, teaches and reinforces Metcalfe’s culture, customer service, and performance expectations to all Department employees.
- Upholds, supports, and promotes all company policies and procedures.
- Follows safe food handling, C.O.O.L compliance and local health department standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The Produce Manager has supervisory responsibility for the Produce Department including approximately ten (10) direct reports.
- High School diploma/equivalent required, Associate’s degree (A.A.) or technical school training preferred.
- 3 to 5 years of previous Produce, restaurant or kitchen experience.
- 3 to 5 years of management or supervisory experience in a fast-paced retail environment.
- Must have strong people management skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills and the ability to handle a diverse crew in a stressful environment.
- Thorough knowledge of the retail food business, thorough knowledge of perishable department operations, merchandising skills, must be able to make timely and effective decisions.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in a diverse, fast-paced and stressful environment.
- Knowledge of technology, the use of a computer, and Microsoft Office - specifically Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Food Safety Certification Required, Metcalfe’s will help certify if needed.