Assistant Produce Manager
Madison, WI - Hilldale location
- Flexible availability required during department hours of 6a to 9p, including weekends and some holidays.
Summary: The Assistant Produce Manager acts in the capacity of team lead and supervisory role within the department. Assists with production, sale, distribution and merchandising of Produce products to meet department objectives. Facilitates sales goals, inventory rotation, scheduling, safety and sanitation and any division of responsibility assigned by the department manager. The Assistant Produce Manager is required to assist customers and maintain complaint resolution with an energetic demeanor. This position requires adhering to all procedural guidelines and established practices set by Metcalfe’s Market.
- Supports the department’s staff efforts and work through timely response to questions, caring and appreciative attitude and demonstrated effectiveness in dealing with employee issues.
- Trains department staff.
- Determines variety and quantity of products to be ordered or produced, according to direction of Manager or orders and/or sales projections.
- Conducts inventories and cycle counts as required.
- Maintains adequate inventory of product to control department waste and avoid overstock and understock problems.
- Receives, unloads and stocks food items.
- May be involved in scheduling department personnel and activities.
- Follows safe food handling and local health department standards.
- Follows C.O.O.L Compliance Standards
- Provides insight and input regarding department personnel.
- Performs effective coaching to all associates.
- Maintains a safe work environment for employees, vendors and customers.
- Monitors and addresses customer issues or questions.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product preparation.
- Work toward continuous quality improvement.
- Reinforces Metcalfe’s culture, customer service, and performance expectations to all department associates.
- Upholds, supports, and promotes all company policies and procedures.
- Observes sales floor and back stock conditions; takes action to correct areas of opportunity.
- Stays current with changing company technology, including software programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: The Assistant Produce Manager will occasionally be assigned to the role of department manager when the department manager is on PTO and/or on a short-term leave. The Assistant Produce Manager assists in coaching and minor disciplinary activities such as monitoring attendance/tardiness or coaching to improve in job responsibilities.
- High School diploma/equivalent required, Associate’s degree (A.A.) or technical school training preferred.
- Two or more years of previous Produce experience.
- Must have strong people management skills.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with customers and all personnel.
- Knowledge of technology, the use of a computer.
- Food Safety Certification preferred.