Senior Manager, Project Management Office (PMO), Toronto, Ontario
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
Reporting to the EVP Operations, the Senior Manager, PMO manages the program of project activity that supports Tilray in achieving its strategic goals at each business unit level – with particular responsibility at the corporate and major BU levels, occasionally supporting at the site level. The Senior Manager leads a diverse team of project managers and coordinators across countries and sites to create and shepherd a consistent project management methodology within Tilray while deploying PMO team members to partner with organization leaders in order to achieve targeted project and program aims. The scope of project and program work within the Tilray PMO is enterprise-wide and predominantly comprised of product to market, new market entry, strategic partnerships and large-scale retooling of existing sites or systems.
Role and Responsibilities
- Oversee through subordinate managers the development of systems and procedures to grow and protect organizational assets – specifically, the project management toolkit and related communication channels or dashboards (management of channel or content or both, as appropriate)
- Create alignment of projects and strategic initiatives to short and long-term objectives as identified by the senior leadership team at the relevant corporate or business unit level
- Manage direct reports, multi-site (and internationally) as well as dotted line reports who draw methodology, template toolkit, and professional alignment from PMO but may report to site or regional GMs for admin efficiency
- Understand the role of PMO as not only executing project completion, but also championing accountability and transparency within the org, and driving by corporate KPIs
- Accountable to performance of the PMO against a set of KPIs that are measured and reported on regularly; design or include new KPIs as appropriate to convey function health
- Lead by example, in professionalism, precision, and timely decision-making driven by our Core Values
- Be the “calm within the storm” to both own team and to cross-functional colleagues and peers – seek to bring order to chaos through building a planning culture
- Handle the assignment of all new enterprise projects (strategic initiatives) within the PMO, delegating smaller project assignments and detailed process decisions to PMO managers as appropriate
- Collaborate with the Office of Strategy Management and the relevant leadership team to ensure that net new initiatives are well aligned to our strategic plan for that business unit
- Maintain and prepare annual budget for the PMO department and make requests for budget variance in a timely and responsible manner, with business case included
- Seek opportunities to understand, align with, and support other teams with project management scoped into their mandate – such as BizTech and S.I. teams; recommend shared toolkit and methodology where appropriate and respect right-sized and specialized approach where best positioned to enable overall Team Tilray success
- Ensure consistent use of and training out the Tilray Stage Gate process in project work undertaken; collaborate with and support Marketing and Ops leadership in advancing this toolkit and ensuring it dovetails successfully with the product portfolio/pipeline as well as with our culture of agility, industry-leading performance and speed to market.
- Leadership and management experience in a high-growth or start-up environment
- Experience managing 3-7 direct reports preferred
- 5-7 years’ project management experience required; PMO leadership preferred
- Familiarity with performance management systems required; experience managing to specific KPIs (or measures & targets) desired
- PMP, PgMP or similar diploma certification preferred; Portfolio management an asset
- High emotional intelligence, diplomacy and ability to influence executive team
- Direct (lead or co-lead) change management experience preferred
- Solid accounting and budget management skills
- Fluency in English required; ability to speak and understand in other languages such as Spanish, Portuguese and German an asset
- Communicate effectively: speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Creativity/Innovation: develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities; be willing to evolve own role and function
- Foster teamwork: work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Lead: positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization; understand the technique of leading from behind, crediting others first, etc.
- Make decisions: assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
- Organize: set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities
- Plan: determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results
- Behave ethically
- Solve problems: assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
- Model the Tilray values of Act with Integrity, Be Steadfast, Care, Collaborate, and Pursue Excellence and serve as an example to others of respectful, precise communications and professionalism