R&D Assistant - London, ON
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Reporting to the R&D Manager, the R&D Assistant is responsible for developing and executing the product research and development activities. Overall accountability and responsibility for delivering NPD (end to end) against consumer needs, developing new technologies and industry opportunities to grow our product portfolio and product development capabilities.
Role and Responsibilities
- Manage NPD from idea to launch, including concept development, prototyping, scale up and operational handover.
- Assist with scale-up from development to production quantities, in collaboration with plant production personnel
- Develop manufacturing instructions, scale up batches, and transfer processes into manufacturing
- Review and establish specifications for novel products and processes
- Provide investigational or summary reports on an as needed basis
- Maintain compliance to all health and safety standards, Good Manufacturing Practices, and regulatory requirements
- Provide cost and man-hour estimates associated with R&D project proposals
- Establish milestones, timelines, and deliverables for product development activities
- Ensure all analytical facilities, equipment and procedures are maintained and operated according to applicable regulatory requirements and SOPs
- Review and evaluate data, test methods, reports in proper and timely fashion
- Independently analyze work process and incorporate changes in schedule or deadlines; prioritize multiple demands and competing priorities for efficient use of the groups' time
- Schedule, plan and organize activities to meet timeline for submissions and other Regulatory filings
- Provide leadership and direction to R&D laboratory personnel for all laboratory activities
- Manage expectations within the group and address performance issues
Qualification and Education Requirements
- University degree in a related technical field (i.e.: food science, chemistry, chemical/process engineering, etc.), MSc or PhD would be an asset.
- Proven track record in full cycle food or drug formulation from Product Development to Manufacturing
- 2-3 years of experience in product development in the food industry, with a focus on formulation, process development and scale-up preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of process validation principles and shelf life determinations
- Ability to independent and prioritize/handle multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
- Comfortable operating process equipment and ability to quickly learn new equipment
- Experience in start-up environment would be an asset
- Indicate skills requirements
- GMP manufacturing
- Knowledge of industry practice and standards, including food safety.
- Proficient with computer skills (inc. Microsoft Office, etc.).
- Knowledge of ISO9001, quality systems and similar approaches.
- Negotiation, analytical, planning and problem solving.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Indicate behavioral competency requirements
- Ability to work in a results orientated, fast paced and challenging environment.
- Strong continuous improvement mindset for both yourself and the R&D function.
- Bias for action, strong personal initiative.
- Consumer empathy.
- Handling multiple priorities
Tilray welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please advise when submitting your application.
Please note that Tilray does not authorize, engage, or sponsor any consultants, agencies or organizations that seek certain personal or financial information from you (e.g. passwords, login ids, credit card information). Tilray does not charge any application, processing or onboarding fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process.
When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly. Please also ensure the Reply-To address matches the sending address exactly.
If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Tilray, please send an email inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org