Operations Manager - Nanaimo, British Columbia
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Reporting to the General Manager in Nanaimo, BC, the Operations Manager is a strong leader responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the site to ensure targets are met and processes are executed efficiently. The Manager will have line of sight to how the various departments are working together to achieve productivity targets and overall KPIs. Working smart to collaboratively gain efficiencies and operate in a safe and complaint plant is a primary goal for this position.
- Effectively and efficiently manage the production of the required daily/weekly/monthly targets in line with customer specifications, meeting quality and delivery expectations, minimizing costs where possible and ensure the required best working practices are always maintained
- Responsible for plant production, financial performance, meeting customer requirements and maintaining the orderly and productive manufacturing operation of planned activities
- Ensure the target productivity level is achieved daily
- Update the production plan daily
- Communicate and liaise with other departmental managers regarding throughput of supply to ensure production targets are met
- Drive process improvements on Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) by appropriate data analysis
- Produce written reports and make presentations by also including root cause analysis and methods to resolve problems
- Identify and deploy the technical skill sets, resource levels and systems to deliver projects, including the engagement of external resources as required
- Conduct risk assessments of processes and tasks in the department
- Ensure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors People Management
- Ensure the delivery of the People Strategy within area of accountability
- Manage, coach and develop high performing teams that meets agreed objectives, and which delivers best practice results, added value and continuous improvements
- Set department objectives/KPIs and review and assess ongoing performance of direct reports
- Report on achievement of targets and identify any actions required
- Provide leadership to managers ensuring adequate staffing levels, managing holiday allowances, recruitment, training, development, appraisal, attendance, disciplinary issues and daily supervision to maximize efficient productivity
- Provide technical expertise to the team
- Consistently promote high standards through personal example and roll out through the team so that each member of the team understands the standards and behaviors expected of them
- Communicate KPIs from the strategic annual plan so that each employee is aware
- Develop, implement and manage key performance indicators (KPIs) for each area of responsibility
- Manage contractors on site to ensure they meet legal and company requirements Financial and Budget Control
- Input and hold responsibility for site budgets
- Prepare the annual Manufacturing budget and forecasts and all Capital Expenditure proposals as well as ensuring compliance with legal standards. Manage the budget from identification to completion of projects
- Responsible for achieving budget and forecast Relationship Management
- Work as part of the Management team to share ideas and improve operation, recommending, supporting and implementing continuous improvement activities and process and procedure improvements to optimize results and improve quality of delivery, in line with quality standards requirements delivery in line with Company and Customer requirements
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure optimal performance
- Work collaboratively, negotiate and engage with key stakeholders to facilitate delivery and compliance with the purchasing strategy
- Communicate with stakeholders the impact of market change and potential effects on engineering design and development. Recommend solutions without compromising quality or service while optimizing cost
- Stay current and up to date on any changes that may affect the supply and demand of needed products and materials and advise others of any impact
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on Manufacturing activities Self-Management
- Support, comply and ensure complicity with Health & Safety regulations, the Company Handbook, Quality and Environmental standards, and all other Company policies and procedures
Qualifications and Experience Levels:
- Relevant manufacturing/engineering degree.
- 10 years extensive plant level experience with significant proven supervisory experience
- Technical understanding
- Understanding of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Kaizen, lean manufacturing and GMP
- Experience of managing Profit & Loss responsibilities for a facility
- Understanding of manufacturing and procurement/supply chain
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems experience, preferably Accumatica
- Membership of an appropriate industry related professional body would be advantageous
Skills and Attributes:
- Excellent leadership and man- management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a variety of cross-functional team members
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills
- Competent in problem solving, team building, planning and decision making
- Commercial and Financial acumen
Tilray welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please advise when submitting your application.
Please note that Tilray does not authorize, engage, or sponsor any consultants, agencies or organizations that seek certain personal or financial information from you (e.g. passwords, login ids, credit card information). Tilray does not charge any application, processing or onboarding fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process.
When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly. Please also ensure the Reply-To address matches the sending address exactly.
If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Tilray, please send an email inquiry to email@example.com