Head of R&D - Hemp Products & Technology - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Reporting to the Chief Science Officer, with dotted line reporting to the President of Tilray USA, the Head of R&D – Hemp Products & Technology is responsible to lead research, development, and new innovation of hemp food products; commercialization and launch of hemp food and CBD based products in the US; and technology development initiatives to support global hemp and US CBD supply chain. This role will provide strategic leadership and execution of all R&D activities relating to hemp, hemp food, or US CBD products/technology. In addition, the role is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) of the Hemp and US CBD business, actively participating in the development of the company strategic direction.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and collaboration on the development and improvement of hemp and hemp food products, based on technical expertise, laboratory results and consumer research
- Establish go to market scale up and manufacturing plans for new product introductions primarily in the United States, including both hemp food and CBD (food, topicals and supplements) product categories
- Manage team of Product Developers, Process Development Engineers, and other technical staff to create robust development and manufacturing plans for active substances and finished products
- Oversee design, development, and implementation of new manufacturing technology solutions
- Evaluate and optimize existing processes for hemp/CBD active ingredients and finished products
- Supervise pilot manufacture of new products at different US manufacturing sites, including contract manufacturing and contract packaging partners
- Collaborate with Sales and Marketing departments to create new product feasibility assessments and building business case and other evaluations prior to initiating new product development activities
- Work with Global R&D and Quality teams to establish shelf-life stability of new products
- Source and procure pilot and production scale manufacturing equipment to produce new products at different US manufacturing sites
- Participate in multi-functional teams on installation, qualification, validation and implementation of new equipment and processes at US manufacturing sites
- Participate as key leader in the Global R&D organization, providing category and market specific leadership on development and execution of key R&D objectives
- Participate as key member of Tilray USA leadership team, working with peers in Marketing, Sales, Operations, Quality, HR, and Finance on development and execution of key strategic objectives
- Report regularly to Chief Science Officer on R&D metrics and KPI’s in accordance with strategic objectives
- Achieve financial objectives by preparing and managing the R&D budget which includes sourcing and securing available grants and funding
- Provide ongoing development, coaching and performance management for all team members including monthly, quarterly annual performance review processes
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Must have a minimum of a M.Sc. in chemistry, engineering, food science, biotechnology or related technical field
- 10+ years’ experience in research and development, product development, or related technical role
- 3-5 years of direct people management, capability development, and change leadership
- Proven track record of success in large scale food, beverage, natural health product, or consumer packaged goods (CPG) manufacturing environment
- Experience working in a regulated environment such as GMP, HACCP, ISO, GFSI, with strong working knowledge of SOPs, master batch records, and other quality systems
- Ability to execute on accountabilities, personal leadership and customer focus a must
- Proven history of taking new products to market
- Must have the proven ability to organize and prioritize work for efficient operations
- Demonstrated ability to influence and lead in a complex, fast-paced, changing environment
- Substantial attention to detail is required
Tilray welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please advise when submitting your application.
Please note that Tilray does not authorize, engage, or sponsor any consultants, agencies or organizations that seek certain personal or financial information from you (e.g. passwords, login ids, credit card information). Tilray does not charge any application, processing or onboarding fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process.
When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly. Please also ensure the Reply-To address matches the sending address exactly.
If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Tilray, please send
an email inquiry to email@example.com