Formulation Scientist, Nanaimo, British Columbia
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
In this challenging and dynamic role, the successful incumbent will be part of the Research & Development (R&D) Product Development team and report directly to the R&D Product Development Manager. The Formulation Scientist will be responsible for all aspects of formulation product development for topical cosmetic and Over-The-Counter (OTC) products, such as formula development, sourcing raw materials, and overseeing the process from scale-up. Working on multiple projects simultaneously, this role is responsible for helping design experiments to support product development and will conduct hands-on laboratory and bench work. The Formulation Scientist works independently or with little supervision and will have topical formulation development experience ideally for cosmetics and OTC products, utilizing a GDP in a cGMP environment.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Plans and conducts scientific experiments in the formulation laboratory associated with early prototyping, development of finished products, scale up of formulas and site transfers of products;
- Authors technical documents (e.g. formulation development protocols and reports, SOPs, etc.) and records accurate and complete experimental protocols and results;
- Develops strong, collaborative relationships with other formulation scientists from other categories and fosters an environment of knowledge sharing;
- Identifies effective solutions through development or modification of test methodology;
- Schedules and executes experiments to meet project objectives and deadline.
- Reviews test results in alignment with the project goals, identifies potential causes of variances and makes potential recommendations to solve problems in collaboration with more senior formulators;
- Actively participates to formulation network meetings to exchange knowledge and information on methods, technologies, ideas;
- Assists training new employees in the formulation development group;
- Ensures all formulation activities are developed in accordance with Tilray policies, laws, quality standards, SOPs and safety requirements. Maintains & promotes good housekeeping (order & cleanliness) and safe behavior in the formulation labs;
- Performs comprehensive, sophisticated and critical evaluation of own data and reviews other formulation scientist’s data (e.g. data integrity checks, second eye for batch manufacture);
- Authors formulation reports with conclusions and recommendations to help prepare relevant documentation for registration (CTD, IMPD, PIF);
- Develops new laboratory procedures and / or improves existing procedures;
- Monitors, archives and general administration of formulation data;
- Manages inventories of supplies and raw materials;
- Troubleshoots formulation lab equipment;
- Investigates innovative ways; actively looks to eliminate non-value-added steps out of processes and procedures.
Education & Experience:
- Degree in formulation, chemistry or related science;
- Five years’ experience in a similar position ideally within an FMCG or FMCH international company;
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, in a fast-paced environment under short deadlines;
- Ability to thrive under quickly changing situations; adaptable, with ability to meet short turnaround times;
- Experience in working in a GMP and/or GLP environment (ideally in cosmetics or OTC/pharma companies);
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and good technical writing capability;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Knowledge in formulation development and handling of raw materials;
- Ability to work independently and to take responsibility for own projects/tasks;
- Results orientated with a hands-on, can-do attitude;
- Positive attitude, flexibility and adaptability with agile thinking;
- Ability to adapt to dynamic environmental changes;
- Must display a strong work ethic.