Formulation Scientist - Nanaimo, BC
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
In this challenging and dynamic role, you will be part of the R&D Product Development team and report directly to the R&D Manager. The Formulation Scientist will be responsible for all aspects of formulation product development, such as formula development, sourcing raw materials, and overseeing the process from scale-up. Working on multiple projects simultaneously, he/she is responsible for helping design experiments to support product development and will conduct hands-on laboratory and bench work. He/she will work independently or with little supervision and will have novel drug delivery development experience utilizing GDP in a cGMP environment.
Roles and responsibilities
- Leads and participates in formulation and product development and stability assessment activities that may include technology screening and selection, developing formulations with improved bioavailability
- Establishes a comprehensive physicochemical knowledge base of therapeutic drug candidates and utilizes it to identify critical quality attributes for formulation and drug product development, and to support various cross-functional processes
- Utilizes statistical science knowledge for study design and data analysis
- Contributing to creativity sessions to envision novel drug delivery concepts
- Perform formulation experiments to deliver ancillary therapeutic agents in a variety of target release profiles
- Schedules and executes experiments to meet project objectives and deadline. Reviews test results in alignment with the project goals, identifies potential causes of variances and make potential recommendations to solve problems in collaboration with more senior formulators
- Authors technical documents (e.g. formulation development protocols and reports, SOPs) and records accurate and complete experimental protocols and results
- Develops strong, collaborative relationships with other formulation scientists from other categories and fosters an environment of knowledge sharing
- Actively participates to formulation network meetings to exchange knowledge and information on methods, technologies, ideas
- Ensures all formulation activities are developed in accordance with Tilray policies, laws, quality standards, SOPs and safety requirements. Maintains & promotes good housekeeping (order & cleanliness) and safe behavior in the formulation labs
- Responsible for monitoring, archiving and general administration of formulation data
- Checks and manages inventories of supplies and raw materials
- Looks for innovative and better ways of doing things; actively looks to eliminate non-value-added steps out of processes and procedures
- Degree in formulation, chemistry or related science
- Proficiency in English
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar position ideally within an FMCG or FMCH international company
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, in a fast paced environment under short deadlines, tolerance for business ambiguity; the ability to thrive under quickly changing situations; adaptable, with ability to meet short turnaround times
- Experience in working in a GMP and/or GLP environment (ideally in cosmetics or OTC/pharma companies)
- Good oral and written communication skills and good technical writing capability
- Good organizational skills
- Good knowledge in formulation development and handling of raw materials
- Good communication skills; Good level oral and written English
- Ability to work independently and to take responsibility for own projects/tasks
- Results orientated with a hands-on, can-do attitude
- Positivity, Flexibility and adaptability with Agile thinking
- Ability to adapt to dynamic environmental changes
- Must display a strong work ethic