Product Development Associate - Pharma, Nanaimo, B.C.
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
The Product Development Associate is accountable to and interacts directly with the Product R&D Manager. The Product Development Associate will be responsible for the research and development of new medical cannabis products. This will include, but will not be limited to product conversions, ground up projects, product line extensions, and product revisions. This role will manage the process from concept through handoff to product development including, formulation concepting; ingredient assessment; initial formulation prototyping and refinement; and commercialization support of the final product production.
This role requires close collaboration with internal stakeholders such as marketing, operations, supply chain, quality, and any applicable third-party agencies. The Product Development Associate supports all activities required to develop, optimize and scale-up of a stable and robust formulation to make it suitable for commercial production, adhering to correct GMP procedures and health and safety guidelines. The work plays an important role in the foundation stages of research and development and different formulations involving Cannabis as an active drug.
Role and Responsibilities
- Support and lead product development initiatives from approved concept through R&D development, scale-up and transfer to production.
- Evaluate new formulations and processes, perform prototype batches, and complete risk assessment and optimization plans for new product development projects.
- Design, execute and evaluate experimental batches to develop robust manufacturing processes for production of commercial products.
- Develop and maintain product specifications and standard operating procedures concerning product formulation and process.
- Ensure that the excipients used in formulation meet all regulatory requirements.
- Arrange and conduct trials and scale up batches and issue reports with minimum assistance.
- Provide technical support for product submission documents for all major process changes.
- Write investigation reports, project summaries, batch records, project updates and provides recommendations as required
- Responsible for the preparation of documentation and obtain the necessary approvals to support change control forms to change the master formulae of production.
- Ability to produce finished packaged product to established specifications, while adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and labour standards at all times.
- Monitor use and inventories of R&D chemicals and supplies, maintain appropriate supply levels.
- Maintain a clean laboratory environment and ensure that safety regulations are followed. Perform calibration and maintenance on laboratory instruments/ equipment as required.
- 5-7 years’ experience in R&D environment specifically in Pharmaceutical industry, Biotech, Natural Health Products or related field.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Pharmaceutical or allied field is desirable.
- Direct experience in GMP manufacturing facility is considered an asset.
- Ability to manage all phases of new product development including confirming new product prototype design with a diverse group of stakeholders, while establishing time lines for project completion.
- Must have a proven track record in project management, commercial product launches and product development with co-packers.
- Experience working with different delivery forms (liquid, gel, cream, powders, tablets, capsules, soft gels, etc.).
- Hands on experience in setup, operation, cleaning and troubleshooting of lab scale and pilot scale equipment.
- Strong knowledge and application of Health Canada and FDA regulations.
- Strong interpersonal & problem-solving skills and commitment to providing a high standard of quality work.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively in a fast-paced team-based environment.
- Good organizational skills combined with multi-tasking ability and on-time delivery of projects.
- Advanced computer literacy is essential.
- Must have the ability to obtain A/RPIC status as per Health Canada cannabis and Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations.