Formulation Scientist – Food and Beverage, Nanaimo, BC
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
The Formulation Scientist – Food and Beverage is accountable to and interacts directly with the Product R&D Manager. The Formulation Scientist - Food and Beverage will be responsible for the research and development of new cannabis consumer products for adult use, with a focus on food products and beverages.
As a Formulation Scientist, you will have unique opportunities to increase technical knowledge by participating in the development of a diverse portfolio of beverage and snack product categories. Successful candidates thrive in an environment of fast-paced, consumer-driven product development.
This role requires close collaboration with internal stakeholders such as marketing, operations, supply chain, quality, and any applicable third-party agencies. The Formulation Scientist supports all activities required to develop, optimize and scale-up a stable and robust formulation to make it suitable for commercial production, adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines.
Role and Responsibilities
- Develop beverage, food, and other consumer product formulations, leveraging expertise in food chemistry and food ingredient functionality
- Assist in the formulation and development of novel nutraceuticals in a variety of delivery applications with emphasis on achieving appealing flavor, color and other organoleptic properties
- Design and execute experiments, and analyze and interpret data to make sound technical recommendations on product and process
- Investigate and apply new technology to provide a competitive advantage
- Partner externally to source ingredients and leverage vendor expertise in ingredient functionality
- Provide expertise in techniques for isolation of volatile compounds from food, beverage and packaging
- Translate product attributes into formal specifications for manufacture
- Lead development for quality/product improvement and productivity initiatives
- Participate as an active member of cross-functional business development teams comprised of individuals from a variety of disciplines, including Marketing, Finance, Purchasing, Engineering and many others
- Be responsible for ensuring shelf stability and safety of new formulations
- Present findings regularly with marketing and R&D departments.
- Evaluate feedback and make necessary changes to formulas
- Research and summarize relevant topics for active work streams and new marketable products
- Strong writing skills and ability to record and formalize data and processes according to Company and Health Canada directives
- Maintain a clean laboratory environment and ensure that safety regulations are followed. Perform calibration and maintenance on laboratory instruments/ equipment as required.
- Degree in a technical field (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology–related field, Nutrition and/or Food Science). PhD is considered an asset.
- Minimum 4+ years Product Development Experience (on Beverages and/or Food preferred) which require both formulation, packaging, and process to create.
- Demonstrated expertise and strong knowledge of flavor, analytical, and food chemistry
- Previous experience working with cannabis and/or exceptional knowledge of its properties and how it uniquely reacts when infused into digestible preferred, but not required
- Enthusiasm for research / computation and hands-on experimentation and formulations.
- Attention to detail and efficiency in a laboratory setting
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Self-motivated problem solver and the drive to deliver objectives in a complex environment.
- The ability to plan, put together well thought out design of experiments, anticipate next steps and incorporate course corrections when hurdles appear.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Executional excellence, personal leadership and customer focus a must
- Ability to learn new products and processes quickly