Director of R&D – New Products, Nanaimo, BC or Toronto, ON
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
We are seeking a Director of R&D – New Products to lead the development and commercialization of new cannabis based products. Reporting to the Chief Science Officer, the Director of R&D – New Products will work closely with R&D, Marketing, Operations and Quality departments to execute Tilray’s product innovation strategy and move new products through the product pipeline from development through to market launch. This role will enable and grow Tilray’s global supply chain of medical and consumer cannabis products, as a key driver of company growth.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide leadership and collaboration on the development of new product formulations across all product categories, including beverage, food, topical, vape, wellness, and medical
- Establish go to market scale up and manufacturing plans for new product introductions
- Manage team of process engineers and chemists to carry out process development studies to create robust manufacturing methods for active substances and finished products
- Manage external contract manufacturing partnerships, including partner evaluation, tech transfer, validation and ongoing production issues
- Assist Marketing department with new product feasibility assessments and building business case and other evaluations prior to initiating new product development activities
- Evaluate and optimize existing processes for current active ingredients and finished products
- Supervise pilot manufacture of new products at different manufacturing sites
- Work with R&D and Quality teams to establish shelf-life stability of new products
- Source and procure pilot and production scale manufacturing equipment to produce new products at different global manufacturing sites
- Participate in multi-functional teams on installation, qualification, validation and implementation of new equipment and processes at global manufacturing sites
- Report regularly to cross-functional and leadership teams on key project indicators - schedule, budget, and quality
- BSc. in technical field (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical Science, Food Science, Biology, Engineering, or equivalent); Master’s or PhD would be an asset
- 10+ years of experience in R&D, product development, formulation, innovation, or related roles – preference to pharma, food, beverage, OTC, cosmetics or natural supplement industries
- Demonstrated track record of execution; proven history of taking new products to market
- Experience with regulations and requirements such as cGMP, ICH, USP, HAACP, ISO would be an asset
- Enthusiasm for research / computation and hands-on experimentation and formulations.
- Attention to detail and efficiency in a laboratory or manufacturing setting
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Self-motivated problem solver and the drive to deliver objectives in a complex environment.
- The ability to plan, put together well thought out design of experiments, anticipate next steps and incorporate course corrections when hurdles appear.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Executional excellence, personal leadership and customer focus a must
- Ability to learn new products and processes quickly
- Relocation or significant travel to manufacturing sites may be required