Packaging Innovation Manager - London, Ontario
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
Reporting to the R&D Director – Product Development, the R&D Packaging Manager is responsible for leading the packaging program for Tilray. Overall accountability and responsibility for delivering packaging NPD (end to end) against consumer needs, developing new technologies and industry opportunities to grow our packaging capability, as well as building corporate packaging and sustainability initiatives.
Roles and responsibilities
- Manage packaging NPD from idea to launch
- Research new packaging technologies & equipment to deliver enhanced performance and latest technology and industry trends
- Liaise with packaging suppliers for new packaging initiatives(including developing the relationship, and helping them to exceed our needs)
- Coordinate with R&D team for any necessary packaging related lab testing during new product development, line extension, or optimization initiatives
- Serve as subject matter expert within the R&D team and cross-functionally with the Marketing and Operations teams
- Manage and coordinate with site level packaging teams on new product implementation and ongoing continuous improvement issues
- Coordinate new label design process for all new products
- Identify and deliver possible cost savings initiatives
- Working closely to support Operations and Technical Applications Group on production issues as needed
- Develop and lead packaging sustainability program and link to wider corporate sustainability goals
- University degree in a technical related field
- Material and packaging qualifications are desired (i.e.: CPP)
- 3-5 years working as a packaging engineer, specialist or similar developmental role within a consumer-packaged goods or pharmaceutical company
- Experience with plastic bottles, board and film (including flowwrap)
- Experience of launching new products to the market
- Past managerial experience would be an asset
- Knowledge of industry practice and standards, including sustainability
- Proficient with computer skills (inc. Microsoft Office, etc.)
- Knowledge of ISO9001, quality systems and similar approaches
- Negotiation, analytical, planning and problem solving
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work in a results orientated, fast paced and challenging environment
- Strong continuous improvement mindset for both yourself and the packaging function
- Bias for action, strong personal initiative
- Consumer empathy