High Park Company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tilray, a global leader in cannabis cultivation, processing, and distribution. Tilray serves patients in Canada and around the world with a diverse range of pharmaceutical-grade medical cannabis products as High Park Company focuses on creating distinctive products for adult Canadian consumers.
About High Park Company
High Park Company was established to develop, sell, and distribute inspiring and iconic adult-use cannabis brands.
Tilray is a global pioneer in cannabis research, cultivation, processing and distribution currently serving tens of thousands of patients in ten countries spanning five continents.
R&D Manager - London, ON
Reporting to the R&D Director – Product Development , the R&D Manager is responsible for leading the product research and development activities and team at the High Park London facility. Overall accountability and responsibility for delivering NPD (end to end) against consumer needs, developing new technologies and industry opportunities to grow our product portfolio and product development capabilities.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Manage NPD from idea to launch, including concept development, prototyping, scale up and operational handover.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the cross functional teams (i.e.: marketing, operations, QA/QC, etc.).
- Assist with scale-up from development to production quantities, in collaboration with plant production personnel
- Develop manufacturing instructions, scale up batches, and transfer processes into manufacturing
- Review and establish specifications for novel products and processes
- Provide investigational or summary reports on an as needed basis
- Maintain compliance to all health and safety standards, Good Manufacturing Practices, and regulatory requirements
- Provide cost and man-hour estimates associated with R&D project proposals
- Establish milestones, timelines, and deliverables for product development activities
- Ensure all analytical facilities, equipment and procedures are maintained and operated according to applicable regulatory requirements and SOPs
- Review and evaluate data, test methods, reports in proper and timely fashion
- Independently analyze work process and incorporate changes in schedule or deadlines; prioritize multiple demands and competing priorities for efficient use of the groups' time
- Schedule, plan and organize activities to meet timeline for submissions and other Regulatory filings
- Provide leadership and direction to R&D laboratory personnel for all laboratory activities
- Manage expectations within the group and address performance issues
- University degree in a related technical field (i.e.: food science, chemistry, chemical/process engineering, etc.), MSc or PhD would be an asset.
- Proven track record in full cycle food or drug formulation from Product Development to Manufacturing
- At least 5 years of experience in product development in the food industry, with a focus on formulation, process development and scale-up
- Demonstrated understanding of process validation principles and shelf life determinations
- Ability to independent and prioritize/handle multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
- Comfortable operating process equipment and ability to quickly learn new equipment
- Experience in start-up environment would be an asset
- Past managerial experience would be an asset
- Skills requirements
- GMP manufacturing
- Knowledge of industry practice and standards, including food safety.
- Proficient with computer skills (inc. Microsoft Office, etc.).
- Knowledge of ISO9001, quality systems and similar approaches.
- Negotiation, analytical, planning and problem solving.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Behavioral competency requirements
- Ability to work in a results orientated, fast paced and challenging environment.
- Strong continuous improvement mindset for both yourself and the R&D function.
- Bias for action, strong personal initiative.
- Consumer empathy.
- Handling multiple priorities
High Park welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please advise when submitting your application.