Director, Communications - EU
Berlin - Germany
Tilray is a global leader in medical cannabis research and production dedicated to providing safe, consistent and reliable therapy to patients. We are the only GMP certified medical cannabis producer currently supplying products to thousands of patients, physicians, pharmacies, hospitals, governments and researchers in Australia, Canada, the European Union and the Americas. Our team of PhD scientists, botanists and master horticulturists are leaders in cannabis research and related agricultural sciences. We strive to improve scientific understanding of the potential applications of medical cannabis and have invested in developing continuing medical education programs for health care practitioners around the globe.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients around the globe?
Please apply in English
Reporting to the EVP, Corporate Affairs, the Director of Communications will be a critical member of the company’s Corporate Affairs Team. The role has a guiding voice in all matters in Europe with implications for the company’s reputation and, more broadly, in matters of consequence to the growth of the business. The challenge will be demanding and multidimensional as industry change plays out across geographies, cultures and regulatory environments.
This is a cross-country role with a portfolio that includes Corporate and Brand Communications in addition to close collaboration with HR on Internal Communications.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead communications strategy which blends creativity and advanced analytics to reach and engage the company’s many stakeholders.
- Ensure that the communications strategy promotes and protects Tilray’s reputation and underscores its authentic commitment to quality products, innovation, corporate citizenship and sustainability.
- Oversee ongoing external communications activities, including crisis/issues management and a proactive approach to media relations.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the Managing Director of Europe and other senior leaders, providing them with strategic communications counsel.
- Foster strong and cooperative relationships with media and influencers in existing and future markets.
- Ensure that attention is placed in the area of employee engagement, with a priority on keeping employees in Europe apprised of, and engaged with, Tilray’s values, vision and purpose as well as its business priorities and achievements.
- Be an engaged collaborator for the global Communications team within the European business unit.
- Manage relationships with outside agency partners.
- Operate as a key part of the Europe leadership team’s “peripheral vision,” closely analyzing societal, cultural, political and business trends and applying them to the company’s strategy and execution
Qualifications and Education requirements
- Degree in Marketing, Communications or another related field.
- 10-12 years of previous experience in a communications ground.
- The ideal candidate will be an experienced Communications candidate who can operate at scale in a complex global environment while still maintaining an entrepreneurial mindset and approach.
- A track record serving as a trusted advisor to a senior leadership team is essential as is experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
- A leadership role in a fast-growing industry and/or with an iconic brand is highly desirable.
- Able to use all aspects of Communications, in an integrated manner, with the goal of educating and influencing for positive change.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with the capability to shape a compelling narrative across audiences.
- Sophisticated understanding of media relations, how journalists operate and what constitutes a story for different venues.
- Has held a leadership role in a best-in-class communications organization.
- Has a disciplined approach, with a bias for planning and measurement, yet able to make good decisions, when necessary, with incomplete information.
- Makes it a practice to solicit other views, consider other perspectives and work to achieve consensus when reaching important decisions.
- Has the credibility and confidence to say to leadership: “Here is what is happening and what it means to us.”
- Is willing and able to point out the potential for unintended consequences.
- Knows the facts and respects them.
- Pays attention to details.
- Calmly absorbs complexity and a high volume of work.
- Wants to roll up his or her sleeves and be in the thick of things.
- Maintains the highest levels of quality and accountability.
- Confidence and humility.
- A collaborator.
- A listener.
- Proven ability to effectively use Microsoft Office Applications.
- Must have a high fluency in English as well as high knowledge of German. Fluency in other languages will be a plus.