|Position: Research Scientist - Product Development|
|Job Id: 875|
|# of Openings: 1|
High Park Company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tilray, a global leader in cannabis cultivation, processing, and distribution. Tilray serves patients in Canada and around the world with a diverse range of pharmaceutical-grade medical cannabis products as High Park Company focuses on creating distinctive products for adult Canadian consumers.
About High Park Company
High Park Company was established to develop, sell, and distribute inspiring and iconic adult-use cannabis brands.
Tilray is a global pioneer in cannabis research, cultivation, processing and distribution currently serving tens of thousands of patients in ten countries spanning five continents.
Research Scientist – Product Development
Reporting to the R&D Manager the Research Scientist is responsible for the research and development of cannabis infused food and beverage products for adult use. The role will support all activities required to develop, optimize and scale up formulations into production while adhering to safe practices and to strict Health Canada Regulations and Guidelines.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Generating scientific research and experimental development data and finding technical solutions at bench-top, pilot facility and production trials to ensure first to market and best in market products
• Develop food and consumer product formulations, leveraging expertise in food chemistry and food ingredient functionality
• Assist in the formulation and development of novel nutraceuticals in a variety of delivery applications with emphasis on achieving appealing flavor, color and other organoleptic properties
• Design and execute experiments, and analyze and interpret data to make sound technical recommendations on products and processes
• Investigate and apply new technology to provide a competitive advantage
• Partner externally to source ingredients and leverage vendor expertise in ingredient functionality
• Translate product attributes into formal specifications for manufacture
• Lead development for quality/product improvement and productivity initiatives
• Participate as an active member of cross-functional business development teams comprised of individuals from a variety of disciplines, including Marketing, Finance, Purchasing, Engineering and many others
• Be responsible for ensuring shelf stability and safety of new formulations
• Evaluate feedback and make necessary changes to formulas
• Research and summarize relevant topics for active work streams and new marketable products
• Strong writing skills and ability to record and formalize data and processes according to Company and Health Canada directives
• Maintain a clean laboratory environment and ensure that safety regulations are followed. Perform calibration and maintenance on laboratory instruments/ equipment as required.
• Prepare prototype with formulations of food and consumer products using specialized equipment
• Work in conjunction with quality control lab for determination of analytical data
• Be present at production trials to record data and collect samples
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
• Degree in a technical field (Food Science or Food Engineering)
• Minimum 8 years of product development and food manufacturing experience, with preference given to confectionery, oils and flavor development experience
• Ability to learn new equipment and processes quickly
• Previous experience working with cannabis infused products is an asset
• Good understanding of food safety along with the Cannabis Act, Safe Food for Canadians Act, HACCP, and GMP
• Deep understanding of sensory, chemistry and microbiology as it relates to food product formulations
• The ability to plan, design experiments, and problem solve
• Ability to learn new products and processes quickly
• Enthusiasm for research and formulating/improving product formulations
• Excellent verbal and written communication, and ability to summarize scientific data
High Park welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please advise when submitting your application.
Apply for this Position
|Go back to the job list|