Cost Accountant, Petrolia, Ontario
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
Roles and responsibilities
- Build strong relationships with plant personnel and operations to develop strong understanding of business operations, which will assist in the monthly accounting activities and product costing
- Primary point of contact for plant and operations personnel on all inventory related accounting matters
- Work closely to provide financial support to other departments and other Tilray/High Park facilities
- Develop and maintain all internal controls to comply with SOX and monitor and ensure adherence to all controls
- Assist in quarterly and annual external and internal financial and SOX audits
- Document policies and procedures, and cross-train other Finance/Accounting staff
- Ensure the input of financial data is accurate, correct and complete
- Control monthly inventory counts and facilitate annual/year-end inventory count together with operations department
Daily & Monthly Activity
- Prepare and analyse the monthly Costing Model
- Ensure that all monthly, quarterly, and annual financial accounting activities are completed in a timely and accurate manner
- Perform all aspects of cost accounting including the preparation, review and analysis of product inventory costing, standard costing, overhead allocation, variance analysis and related month end processes.
- Monitor production cost variances and related exception reporting to promptly identify key variances from standard costs. Identify root causes and review recommendations with operations management daily to eliminate key variances.
- Perform technical accounting tasks including the preparation of JE’s, balance sheet reconciliations, periodic closing, monthly accruals and intercompany balance reconciliation,
- Conduct intercompany balance reconciliation, monthly accruals, journal entry logs and and audit binder
- Participate in quarterly inventory reserve calculations
- Work with management to establish and maintain accurate reporting of product costs, margins and similar management reports to improve operations.
- Assists in the preparation of annual budgets, lending technical and analytical expertise for the development of labor efficiencies, rates, overhead and raw materials.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required
- CPA designated or within 6 months of completion preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years full cycle accounting experience is required.
- Experience within manufacturing, pharmaceutical or GMP is an asset
- Experience with sophisticated ERP systems is required
- Advanced competency in Microsoft suite, including effective working skills of MS Word, PowerPoint and e-mail and advanced Excel skills.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to work with large volumes of data and identify the most critical points.
- Self-motivated individual who will drive process improvements where needed.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills as well as presentation skills.
- Highly flexible with solid interpersonal skills to handle ambiguities and continuous improvement
- Able to work independently and as part of a team coupled with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.