Director of R&D – Technical Applications
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
Reporting to the Chief Science Officer, the R&D Director – Technical Applications is responsible for overseeing the Tilray Technical Applications Group (TAG), leading new process development and continuous improvement projects to support new product launches and existing manufacturing operations. The candidate will work closely with Product Development, Operations, and Quality teams on cannabinoid extraction, refinement, and isolation methods; new cannabis concentrate product initiatives; new product development and launch initiatives; and continuous improvement to ensure achievement of KPI targets on COGS, efficiency, and product launch success.
Roles and responsibilities
- Lead the Technical Applications Group across multiple Tilray site operations, with focus on new process development, continuous improvement of existing manufacturing, and new product launch
- Lead scale-up of new manufacturing processes from development to production quantities, in collaboration with plant production personnel
- Oversee design, development, and implementation of new manufacturing technology solutions, including extraction, purification, and finished goods manufacturing systems
- Supervise Technical Applications Group in developing new methods for separation and purification of cannabinoids and other cannabis-based compounds
- Assist in the development of new drug product formulations and drug-delivery technologies
- Develop manufacturing instructions, scale up batches, and transfer processes into manufacturing
- Supervise TAG team in designing and performing method validations for new products, methods, and equipment
- Work with the Quality Control department to establish requirements for analytical testing of API, intermediates, raw materials and excipients as required for preparation and filing of regulatory documents
- Review and establish specifications with the Chief Science Officer for novel products and processes
- Provide Chief Science Officer with investigational or summary reports on an as needed basis
- Provide cost and man-hour estimates associated with R&D project proposals
- Plan, coordinate, and oversee laboratory analyses for compliance actions, emergency response, site studies, health and safety studies, investigations, and remediation
- M.Sc. in chemistry, engineering, biochemistry, pharmaceutical sciences or related technical field required
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in technical services, research and development, or related operations or development role
- Proven track record of success in large scale food, beverage, pharmaceutical, or cosmetics manufacturing environment required
- Experience with separation and purification of compounds for drug API and/or drug product development would be an asset
- Strong working knowledge of cGMP practices, standard operating procedures, and master batch records
- Knowledge of drug formulation would be an asset.
- Must have the proven ability to organize and prioritize work for efficient operations
- Must be able to work cross-functionally
- Substantial attention to detail is required