Cost Accountant, Nanaimo, British Columbia
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
Roles and responsibilities
- Build strong relationships with plant personnel and operations to develop strong understanding of business operations, which will assist in the monthly accounting activities and product costing
- Primary point of contact for plant and operations personnel on all inventory related accounting matters
- Work closely to provide financial support to other departments and other Tilray facilities
- Develop and maintain all internal controls to comply with SOX and monitor and ensure adherence to all controls
- Assist in quarterly and annual external and internal financial and SOX audits
- Document policies and procedures, and cross-train other Finance/Accounting staff
- Ensure the input of financial data is accurate, correct and complete
- Control monthly inventory counts and facilitate annual/year-end inventory count together with operations department
Daily & Monthly Activity
- Prepare and analyse the monthly Costing Model
- Ensure that all monthly, quarterly, and annual financial accounting activities are completed in a timely and accurate manner
- Perform all aspects of cost accounting including the preparation, review and analysis of product inventory costing, standard costing, overhead allocation, variance analysis and related month end processes.
- Monitor production cost variances and related exception reporting to promptly identify key variances from standard costs. Identify root causes and review recommendations with operations management daily to eliminate key variances.
- Perform technical accounting tasks including the preparation of JE’s, balance sheet reconciliations, periodic closing, monthly accruals and intercompany balance reconciliation,
- Conduct intercompany balance reconciliation, monthly accruals, journal entry logs and and audit binder
- Participate in quarterly inventory reserve calculations
- Work with management to establish and maintain accurate reporting of product costs, margins and similar management reports to improve operations.
- Assists in the preparation of annual budgets, lending technical and analytical expertise for the development of labor efficiencies, rates, overhead and raw materials.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required
- CPA designated or within 6 months of completion preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years full cycle accounting experience is required.
- Experience within manufacturing, pharmaceutical or GMP is an asset
- Experience with sophisticated ERP systems is required
- Advanced competency in Microsoft suite, including effective working skills of MS Word, PowerPoint and e-mail and advanced Excel skills.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to work with large volumes of data and identify the most critical points.
- Self-motivated individual who will drive process improvements where needed.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills as well as presentation skills.
- Highly flexible with solid interpersonal skills to handle ambiguities and continuous improvement
- Able to work independently and as part of a team coupled with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
Tilray welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please advise when submitting your application.
Please note that Tilray does not authorize, engage, or sponsor any consultants, agencies or organizations that seek certain personal or financial information from you (e.g. passwords, login ids, credit card information). Tilray does not charge any application, processing or onboarding fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process.
When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly. Please also ensure the Reply-To address matches the sending address exactly.
If you are concerned about the authenticity of an email, letter, or call purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Tilray, please send an email inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org