Senior Manager, SEC Reporting
Tilray is a global leader in cannabis research, cultivation, processing and distribution. We aspire to lead, legitimize and define the future of our industry by building the world’s most trusted cannabis company. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates. Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Tilray’s values guide each employee’s work every day. Those values are:
Act with Integrity – we rely on honest, transparent and trustworthy behavior and communication
Be Steadfast – we have an unwavering obligation to our patients, consumers, providers, colleagues and community to be sincere, accountable and responsive.
Care – to achieve abundance in our crops and our lives, we must act with passion, focus and dedication
Collaborate – we believe that none of us is as smart as all of us and together we succeed
Pursue Excellence – we believe in our ability to spark innovation, achieve greatness, and overcome any risk, challenge or failure met along the way.
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Reporting with a dotted line relationship to the Vice President of Finance and Corporate Controller, the Sr. Manager of SEC Reporting is primarily responsible for the management of the SEC reporting process, specifically, the preparation the Company’s SEC filings, research and documentation of technical accounting issues that are relevant to the Company. This person will oversee the technical accounting and reporting process in adherence to US GAAP principles and SEC regulations. This role also involves working closely with external auditors and advisory service providers to assist in the review/audit process. The position is further responsible for performing technical accounting research related to proposed M&A transactions, ad hoc analyses and assisting in the monthly consolidation process.
The role works closely with accounting and finance staff across the global organization. They will be expected to be able to anticipate, address and resolve any accounting issues that arise, working closely with senior management to come up with solutions in a timely and effective manner.
Roles and responsibilities
- Manage the full external reporting process, including the annual and quarterly financial statements and footnotes reported to the SEC (Form 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K).
- Prepare and organize the quarterly SEC reporting calendar, which involves coordination with the external auditors, executives and members of the finance, legal and investor relations departments.
- Prepare/compile supporting documents for all SEC filings and ensure all approvals are obtained before filing in compliance with SOX.
- For the Company’s financial statements filed with the SEC on Form 10-Q and 10-K, prepare disclosure checklists, ensure the filings are properly formatted and accurate and oversee XBRL tagging procedures.
- Anticipate, research and document the impact of amended or new accounting, reporting and disclosure rules. Ensure all rules are implemented and adhered to and memorandums are prepared as appropriate, including the implementation of ASC 606 (Revenue) and ASC 842(Leases).
- Perform technical accounting research as needed, including the preparation of memorandums.
- Ensuring all business activities (Joint Ventures, M&As, etc.) are accounted for and fillings are updated as applicable.
- Ensure proactive interpretation and application of US GAAP ensuring compliance with all reporting and disclosure requirements.
- Maintain a solid understanding of all aspects of the business and the related impact on the company’s accounting and internal control systems, procedures and processes.
- Lead the earnings release procedure, including critical review of executive notes and investor information.
- CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of public accounting, internal audit or US public company reporting experience
- In depth comprehension of SEC Filings and US GAAP standards.
- Big 4 accounting firm experience preferred.
- In-depth knowledge and expertise in the use of Word, Excel, etc.
- Exposure to Active Disclosure/Workiva an advantage.
- Possess a highly developed US GAAP comprehension and technical reporting skill-set along with strong understanding of FASB and SEC accounting and disclosure requirements in the context of the company.
- Demonstrates effective communication techniques appropriate for all levels of the business. Must be able to communicate confidently (verbal presentation and written) with stakeholders, business group leaders and senior management, across finance and non-finance personnel
- Strategic, forward thinking approach, with an innate consideration of the “bigger picture”. Strong ability to grasp business drivers and understand the company’s motivations. Ability to facilitate and implement the strategic direction of senior management.
- Consistent monitoring of reporting standard updates, considering the impact on the business and creating appropriate review and control measures.
- Ability to critically review statements and challenge assertions, guaranteeing clarity and accuracy for the end user. Further, the highest standards of accuracy and precision; highly organized.
- High-level of integrity and discretion, with the ability to handle sensitive information with confidentiality.