Product Development Scientist - Beverage, Nanaimo, BC
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
The Product Development Scientist - Beverage is responsible for design and development of new products and/or technologies and the improvement of existing products and/or technologies. The incumbent must simultaneously manage multiple projects; ensure that the company standards of quality are met; may be formally or informally responsible for collaborating with a leading group of scientists. This role is multi-faceted and will balance hands on Beverage (hot and cold) product development, product and process research on related enabling technologies, project management, intense collaboration with cross-functional teams, specifically appliance development and productivity.
Role and Responsibilities
- Rapid prototype generation and testing (physical, chemical, sensorial attributes, and stability); data recording and analysis
- Drive global innovative projects. Identify, accelerate and execute fast to market approaches to meet project goals. Deliver winning taste profiles to consumers while meeting cost targets
- Solid understanding for flavor raw materials and taste modification tools in general and those specifically leveraged in the design, optimization and production of flavor/taste modification systems
- Extensive understanding of flavor delivery systems including emulsions, extractions and blends as well as their use in beverage. Capability to modify existing flavor formulations to deliver specific profiles
- Demonstrate strong technical skills in understanding flavor creations and their application to different beverage systems. General knowledge of flavor chemistry and food science principles as related to the flavor and beverage industries
- In-depth knowledge of flavor application processes and best practices for flavor end use in beverage.
- Successfully transition from bench top prototypes to large scale commercialization in support of global growth initiatives. Understand technical roadmaps, hurdles and key challenges. Final flavors are plant-friendly and sustainable. Knowledge of flavor application and beverage sample preparation techniques
- Develop product formulations that leverages expertise in beverage chemistry and food ingredient functionality
- Design and develop new products from bench top to commercialization in manufacturing areas while staying within specified parameters of cost and ensuring compliance with label claims.
- Be responsible for ensuring shelf stability and safety of indigestible formulations
- Maintain a clean laboratory environment and ensure that safety regulations are followed. Perform calibration and maintenance on laboratory instruments/ equipment as required.
- Strong writing skills and ability to record and formalize data and processes according to company and Health Canada directives
- Master’s degree required, Ph.D. preferred in food science, chemistry or related field.
Related work experience:
- Minimum 3+ years experience in product development, flavor design, and commercialization including working in a bev manufacturing facility.
- Experience and understanding of in food safety/GMP requirements for food manufacturing and how to ensure that process design and ingredient/processing aid selections meet these requirements.
- Understanding of management system/ISO requirements and proven ability to drive continual improvement
- Expert knowledge and demonstrated experience in process scale-up and commercialization.
- Cross functional and project management skills, including self-managed multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with minimum supervision.
- Solid interpersonal and problem-solving abilities
- Mechanical ability and expert knowledge/understanding
- Drive innovation: generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business
- Collaborate with system and stakeholders: develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to appropriately stretch and impact the system
- Act like an owner: deliver results, creating value for our brands, our system, our customers and key stakeholders
- Inspire others: inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible
- Develop self and others: develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential