PRODUCTION MANAGER, NANAIMO, BC
Tilray is a federally licensed producer of medical cannabis. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates.
Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Ready to apply your talents to make a positive difference in the lives of patients across the country?
Reporting to the General Manager, the Production Manager is responsible for the execution of the crop plan and cultivation program as directed by Master Horticulturist. Responsibilities will include the development of the operation budget, effective management of the labour, planning projects, scheduling work, completing tasks within specified timelines and on budget. Other responsibilities will include the research and analysis of horticulture problems, providing advanced technical support, recommendations for improvement and reporting results.
Role and Responsibilities
- Taking responsibility for the long-term planning including the operation budget, as well as daily oversight of Tilray’s unique growing program, creating and communicating updates and plans.
- Approving expenses and tracking monthly expenses.
- Working with and leading the Production Supervisors and Head Grower to oversee the day-to-day activities.
- Leading weekly meetings with the Horticulture staff and articulating departmental priorities on a daily/weekly basis; ensuring work plans are designed and executed in conjunction with priorities
- Implementing production plans and creating standard operating procedures in collaboration with other members of the team
- Overall crop management, with a focus on product quality, including overseeing the climate and irrigation computerized control systems and, pest and disease control
- Fertilization management; providing the Master Horticulturist with soil, water and leaf analysis as requested and communicate the adjustment recommended to the Head Grower.
- Ensuring the optimal staffing of the Production department. Supporting the Production Supervisor in recruiting, hiring, and training, ensuring that all personnel receive ongoing instruction and evaluation, while continually expanding their diverse skill sets
- Fostering a positive work environment of respect, quality, compliance and safety, and providing the Head Grower and Production Supervisor with guidance, supervision, training and coaching on best practices in plant care techniques.
- Working with Human Resources on coordinating Horticulture Apprenticeship opportunities with post-secondary institutes.
- Participating in research and development projects related to growing and equipment.
- Participating in a range of activities beyond the typical work day, including travel, events and programs, and cultivation activities as needed.
- Working with Quality Assurance/Quality Control to coordinate and complete appropriate documentation to maintain our GMP or GDP certification.
- Participating in professional development which meets or exceeds the requirement to maintain any applicable professional designation.
- Must have a minimum of a Horticulture Diploma.
- Must have a minimum of 8-10 years’ experience as a Production Manager in a large greenhouse or nursery operation (produce, flowers or ornamental plants); 5 acres +, or a combination of education and experience
- Proven expertise encompassing greenhouse system design, plant nutrition, crop and pest management, greenhouse IT systems, software sensors and controls
- Proven ability to effectively use Microsoft Office Applications
- Experience with Hazard Awareness & Critical Control Points (HACCP) and Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) systems would be an asset