Sr Human Resource Business Partner - Toronto ON
Tilray is a global leader in cannabis research, cultivation, processing and distribution. We aspire to lead, legitimize and define the future of our industry by building the world’s most trusted cannabis company. We are committed to setting the gold standard of care and excellence in our industry. We believe that commitment starts with a great work environment and benefits for our associates. Looking to develop your career at the forefront of a rapidly expanding industry?
Tilray’s values guide each employee’s work every day. Those values are:
Act with Integrity – we rely on honest, transparent and trustworthy behavior and communication
Be Steadfast – we have an unwavering obligation to our patients, consumers, providers, colleagues and community to be sincere, accountable and responsive.
Care – to achieve abundance in our crops and our lives, we must act with passion, focus and dedication
Collaborate – we believe that none of us is as smart as all of us and together we succeed
Pursue Excellence – we believe in our ability to spark innovation, achieve greatness, and overcome any risk, challenge or failure met along the way.
Reporting to the EVP, Human Resources, the Sr HR Business Partner (HRBP), will be responsible for maintaining and administration of Tilray Human Resource policies and programs. HRBP supports management and employees to work towards departmental and company goals. Possess a strong knowledge of multiple facets of Human Resource with an emphasis on Performance Management, Employee Relations and Change Management. The incumbent will demonstrate a proactive and solution orientation and excel in the competencies of: HR subject matter expertise; accurate, targeted and concise communication; proactive collaboration, and meaningful reporting.
- Workforce Planning & Organizational Development – Leverages a sound understanding of the business, its performance levers and market context and uses these insights to provide guidance on the business’ organizational state and future requirements. Leverage Workday to deliver accurate people data to the Senior Leadership team for decision making related to employee lifecycle and performance and talent management. Craft and revise role profiles as needed to facilitate organization effectiveness and business planning.
- Recruitment – Partner with Talent Acquisition team to ensure a conscious, deliberate approach to attracting and retaining top talent from both inside and outside the organization. Leverage workforce planning to provide near and long term hiring forecasts and to identify pipeline needs.
- Retention and Succession Planning – Support leadership preparation for annual talent review sessions. Recommend and implement retention strategies to minimize unwanted attrition, particularly in business unit critical roles, specialty skill sets, and in highly competitive critical market places.
- Total Rewards – Lead annual salary, bonus/commission, and equity planning process with business unit leadership, ensuring highest performers are compensated in line with their business impact and contributions. Provide ongoing input based on local market realities and recommend market adjustments as needed to ensure top talent is retained. Collaborate with Total Rewards and Benefits partners to drive participation in annual benefits enrollment processes.
- Performance Management – Lead annual goal setting and year-end evaluation process with business unit leadership. Support managers in ensuring every person is consistently performing to standard, or above (peak performance). Ensure a strong, vibrant workplace where everyone can contribute, learn and grow.
- Employee Engagement – Partner with business unit leaders to ensure employees are enabled, empowered and feel valued, developing creative solutions to combat any barriers to high levels of engagement. Monitor employee climate to identify issues/trends and develop recommendations for problem solving with other HRBPs, local colleagues and business units as appropriate. Diagnose individual, team, and organizational issues that are negatively impacting culture and performance and recommend and facilitate delivery of the appropriate intervention to increase performance.
- HR leadership – Ensure the local delivery of all HR functions in a consistent, efficient and streamlined way, helping local employees navigate the HR organization. Provide strong leadership in how you partner with the business and across the HR team. Participate in the development of top quality HR talent to ensure the highest levels of performance and productivity. Instill a culture that emphasizes collaboration, accountability and transparency among the HR team.
- Employee Relations – Provide first line support for all employees’ inquiries. manager/employee work environment. Conduct investigations and make recommendations based on findings/facts. Escalate issues/concerns to HR leadership and business unit leadership as appropriate. Collaborate with legal and outside counsel as needed to address complex or highly sensitive issues. Address and resolve employee relations concerns and help foster an effective, productive, progressive
- Operates with an enterprise mindset. Has a broad understanding of Tilray; operates in a seamless manner across geographies and functions.
- Leads with Courage and Decisiveness. Employs a “growth mindset” about the business and people development; looks beyond incremental approaches to solving problems and enhancing efficiencies.
- Embraces and Drives Change. Knows how to influence others; instills optimism and energizes others to move beyond the current state; has a bias for action.
- Promotes teamwork in a multidisciplinary context.
- Can deliver results in a dynamic environment (fast-moving, change, able to work under pressure) and ability to drive multiple projects in parallel, which are interdependent and/or competing in terms of priority.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 7-10 years progressive HR experience
- Extensive knowledge and skills in all HR operations.
- Experience working in Center of Excellence HR organization.
- Experience within a large, global organization (3,000 + employees).
Desired Skills & Experience
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and documentation skills with an ability to multi-task and prioritize without sacrificing quality
- Self-motivated and self-directed and takes initiative to proactively handle issues
- Knowledge of HR compliance, employment laws, labor laws and regulatory requirements
- Ability to partner with senior managers, managing high expectations via influence and persuasion
- Demonstrated ability to identify organizational issues and then design, develop, and facilitate a diverse range of Organization Development interventions (i.e., mentoring, team building, group facilitation, organization structure and design, etc.) to improve performance
- Demonstrated ability to assess change management needs and support the design of change management plans that support organizational change
- Strong communication, facilitation and presentation skills; Strong in personal presence and an excellent communicator and motivator
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Word, Power Point. Ability to work with Excel spreadsheets is required.
- Experience with Workday a plus
- Experience in the CPG, pharmaceutical, or beverage alcohol is a plus