The Manager of Policy, Process & Compliance’s paramount responsibility is to ensure that the Company’s Flight Operations are conducted in full compliance with all applicable regulations, as well as company policies and procedures. This position is also responsible for working proactively with other departments to both assist in their compliance efforts, and to standardize policy and process across the company.
- Legal to work in the United States (A citizen or national of the United States, a lawful permanent resident, or an alien authorized to work) is required.
- Hold a valid passport that allows for multiple entries into the United States is required.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and experience in an aviation field is preferred.
- Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office applications’ including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- 1 year experience as a Captain with a part 121/135 air carrier is preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Authoring of large documents/manuals preferred. Strong math skills required to support detailed project analysis, and the design/development of charts, graphs and tables is preferred
- Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) or Commercial Pilot Certificate preferred.
- Ability to lift, carry and move light to medium weight of 10 – 30 pounds.
- There are prolonged periods during which this position requires working seated at a desk or workstation.
Job Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Effective planning, organizing and self-prioritization
- Motivating and mentoring subordinates
- Managing multiple detailed projects in a fast-paced environment
- Exercising sound decision making using judgment and discretion as appropriate
- Working closely with senior management
- Addressing large groups of people comfortably
- Gathering and trending information using objective, fact-based analysis
- Building strong working relationships across departmental boundaries
- Developing practical, straight-forward solutions to problems
- Ensuring a high degree of confidentiality
- Working both independently and in a team environment
The preferred candidate will also have proficiency in / knowledge of:
- Federal Aviation Regulations as related to part 121 Air Carrier operations
- Compass Flight Operations policies, procedures and standards
- Compass AQP Pilot Training Program
- Air Transportation Oversight System (ATOS)
- IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) Program
- Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS)
- Safety Management System (SMS)
- Has authority to write, review, coordinate and revise company operating policies and processes related to airman duties, flight deck procedures, the carry-on baggage program and the flight operations portions of cargo, CAT II, RVSM, weight & balance, and use of approved routes and airports.
- Ensure all flights are conducted safely and in accordance with applicable CFRs, Operations Specifications, and Company policies and procedures, and uses sound judgment when variations are required from policy or procedure to ensure safe flight operations.
- Ensures flight operations personnel are provided current operational information that complies with applicable regulations and Company policies and procedures.
- The management and content of the Flight Operations portions of the following: Operations Specifications, FAA issued Exemptions & Deviations, ATOS SAI’s & EPI’s, SMS, and IOSA Standards.
- Authors manuals/documents, including the Flight Operations Manual and the Winter Operations Manual, in close coordination with Tech Pubs personnel, and other managers within the company to ensure regulatory compliance and policy coordination between manuals and departments.
- Maintains a system for tracking new issues/changes for up-coming manual revisions.
- Acts as the central point of contact between the Company, vendors, the FAA, and other regulatory/governmental agencies for flight operations issues.
- Actively serves as an inter-departmental liaison and flight operations subject matter expert within the company, and provides timely notification of up-coming policy changes.
- Evaluates, recommends and manages flight operations related programs/projects designed to improve the safety or efficiency of the airline, or as required to maintain regulatory compliance.
- Works in close coordination with the E175 Programs Manager, in the development of flight operations related policies, procedures and written guidance.
- Disseminates information from the FAA, and other regulatory or international oversight organizations (IATA) to appropriate company departments. This includes ACs, NPRMs, InFO’s, SaFO’s, and other FAA notices. In addition, coordinates company responses to these agencies as assigned.
- Maintains an FAA Compliance Tracking System whereby new regulatory requirements, ACs, InFO’s, SaFO’s and other FAA notices are identified and reviewed, new information is coordinated, and a Company response is composed, submitted and tracked. Will also facilitate uniform implementation.
- Acts as a resource to assist other departments in their compliance efforts, and provides feedback to the Director of Operations on areas of concern in this regard.
- Leads assigned portions of instructor/check airmen meetings to include summaries of current flight operations issues, highlights of upcoming revisions, and changes to company policy.
- Provides inputs to Training for the development and revision of simulator scripts, LOFT’s and LOE’s based on feedback received from sources within the company, the FAA and own direct observations.
- Participates in company working groups/teams as assigned, such as the Training Review Board, Flight Standards Advisory Board, Training Council, Emergency Response Team, FOQA and the ASAP Event Review Committee.
- Represents the Flight Operations department at industry meetings, conferences and other events.
- Maintains qualification and perform duties as a Compass Airline’s Pilot, Instructor, Check , and APD as applicable, if so qualified.
- This is an SMS safety related position who has the responsibility for making appropriate risk assessments and decision making to achieve acceptable levels of Safety.
- Works in close coordination with the Safety Department to complete hazard workbooks through the SMS process.
- Position is based in Minneapolis, MN.
- Work is performed in an office environment, and occasionally in a classroom, simulator, or an open work environment (ramp).
- Normal schedule is Monday-Friday during business hours with night and weekend schedules as required.
- Travel throughout the domestic United States, and internationally is required.
Job Description Disclaimer:
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned