The Manager, Quality Control is responsible for the strategic direction and day-to-day leadership of the Compass Airlines’ Quality Control Inspection team. This involves the leadership of a staff focused on the delivery of technical compliance, safety and inspection functions in the carrier’s technical operations.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility completely. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Aviation Management, Business or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience as a CFR 14 Part 121 aircraft inspector, which should include a variety of working conditions and aircraft types or equivalent.
- Three to five years’ experience holding a management position of a quality organization function in air transportation, either in the Quality Control or Quality Assurance areas for CFR 14 Part 121 air carrier.
- Possess a full understanding of the following with respect to the companies operation;
- Aviation safety standards and safe operating practices
- Understanding of General Maintenance Manual policies and procedures
- Comprehensive understanding of 14 CFR Part 121 and 145 regulations specifically related to maintenance and airworthiness requirements
- Project Management experience
- Experience on Embraer E170/175 aircraft
- Experience with Maximo and/or other ERP system and technical records requirements
- Prefer experience in selection and training of inspectors as well as inspector training content development.
- Technical manual procedure writing experience
- FAA Liaison experience
- Must be able to fluently speak, write, and read the English language
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must be proficient in communications at all levels, both inside and outside of the company.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Hold a valid FAA-Issued Mechanic Certificate with Airframe & Powerplant ratings for at least five years
- Must be able to perform basic mathematical calculations and be able to apply basic statistical analysis
- Ability to lift, carry and move light to medium weight of 10–30 pounds.
- There are prolonged periods during which individuals are working seated at a desk with their computer.
- The Manager, Quality Control, through delegation from the Director, Quality & Chief Inspector will delegate the authority for the accomplishment of Required Inspection Item (RII) procedures to properly trained, qualified, and authorized personnel and to maintain a listing of all Airworthiness Release and Required Inspection Item Authorizations issued to personnel.
- The Manager, Quality Control is responsible to ensure that the Quality Control Department complies with all Company policies and procedures and adheres to Federal Regulations.
- The Manager, Quality Control is responsible for the development of the Quality Control staff, development of processes and maintaining sufficient numbers of qualified Quality Control Inspectors.
- The Manager, Quality Control is responsible for the administration of the Quality Control Department.
- The Manager, Quality Control is responsible to assign inspection functions according to Federal Aviation Regulations, manufacturer’s maintenance and company procedures to ensure that aircraft are inspected to the prescribed standards of airworthiness and serviceability.
- The Manager, Quality Control is responsible to maintain a listing of all calibrated tooling utilized by the company and ensure all tooling and records for required calibration are current and accurate.
- The Manager, Quality Control is responsible to perform investigations and compile reports concerning problems or incidents, as well as review and act upon problems surfaced by analysis reports and provide findings to the Director, Quality & Chief Inspector.
- The Manager, Quality Control is responsible to ensure maintenance performed by company and maintenance provider personnel are in compliance with the Federal Aviation regulations and company procedures.
- The Manager, Quality Control is responsible for the review of General Maintenance Manual revision submissions to ensure compliance with Federal Aviation Regulations and proper departmental interfaces are maintained.
Job Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Requires extensive knowledge of all aspects of technical operations and training.
- Problem Solving/Analytical/Reasoning Ability – Must have the ability to apply common sense in understanding and dealing with internal and external customers. Must be able to effectively lead group problem solving exercises. Situations must be dealt with diplomatically and professionally.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have fundamental understanding and use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook for mail. Occasionally use of Microsoft Project.
- Must demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills. Must be able to work independently while still keeping a team perspective.
- Must be detail-orientated with ability to multi-task on a regular basis.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to show demonstrated ability to be discreet in matters of confidential information.
- Must have well-developed people skills and ability to work with a variety of personalities. Must exhibit patience while at the same time is assertive and controls the office area in a professional manner.
- Must be flexible with respect to work schedule and willing to assist and support others within the company when needed.
- Must have a strong customer service orientation.
- May handle a wide variety of situations involving the clerical and administrative function of the office.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Must have the ability to prioritize and coordinate with associated departments.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Will have some contact with internal senior management with possibility of influence.
- Develop and lead the Quality Control team through a strategic planning process and lead them to achieve that plan.
- Manages the work required by Quality Control staff to include QC Supervisor, QC Heavy Maintenance Representatives and QC Inspectors as it relates to the aircraft handling and inspection duties, procedures and processes.
- Ensures strict and timely compliance with all FAA and other regulatory requirements as well as Compass Airlines’ established policies and procedures. Promotes and secures adherence to policies that ensure the highest levels of safety through the QC staff.
- Oversees all aspects of the Quality Control function, with responsibility for regulatory compliance, safety, operational and financial (cost) performance.
- Provides day-to-day leadership to Compass Airlines’ Quality Control department.
- Ensures a work environment that operates within core values, division goals, and provides a quality environment that supports a team effort, encourages open communication, and stresses continuous improvement.
- Creates and maintains a working environment that promotes the professional growth, leadership, accountability and motivation of all personnel.
- Establishes and manages departmental operating performance against clear, aggressive, but achievable performance target and improvements in cost, quality, reliability and measured customer service levels so as to ensure the ongoing delivery and enhancement of the Quality Control department.
- Coordinates with the Technical Operation management team and the training department to develop and implement corrective action plans based on results of investigations or findings.
- Liaises with other major functions within the airline organization, ensuring that cross-business unit relationships and work processes are strong and that the units work effectively in delivering top quality safety and service.
- Represents the Quality Control department with business partners and with regulatory agencies such as the FAA, and DOD.
- Establishes hiring standards. Reviews Quality Control candidate applications and conducts interviews. Hires QC Supervisor, Inspectors, and QC Heavy Maintenance Representatives to ensure staffing requirements are being met.
- Provides on-call assistance 24 hours a day to respond to emergencies, procedural questions, coordinates problems and make on-the-spot management decisions.
- Generally an office environment.
- Work is also performed in an open work environment (hangar/ line) and in enclosed workstation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- High noise, dirt, dust and required protective devices as required in the aircraft maintenance environment.
- Moderate Business travel is required.
Job Description Disclaimer:
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.