Compass Airlines is seeking a Manager of Safety Management Systems to join our team at our Minneapolis, Minnesota – Headquarters location. We are looking for an innovative and technical individual, with exceptional business judgment, as well as the initiative and competence to make a significant contribution to the Compass organization.
The Manager of Safety Management Systems (MSMS) is responsible for performance of the safety-advancement tasks and programs comprising the Compass Airlines Safety Management System, including oversight and direction of the activities of the various Safety Specialists assigned to those programs. In this role, the MSMS supports the Director of Safety & Compliance (DOS) in the continued development of the Company’s flight and ground safety programs.
Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) or equivalent in Aviation Safety, Engineering or in a related program whose major emphasis is safety and systems analysis applicable to the major aviation technical areas; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Three or more years of airline and/or airline management experience is required, reflecting extensive operational experience in aviation and a broad knowledge of Federal Aviation Regulations. Normally this experience will be gained through a combination of formal education and experience gained through service in either an operational position requiring FAA certification, i.e. as a flight deck crewmember, aviation mechanic, dispatcher, safety investigator, or an airline position(s) providing equivalent exposure and experience.
Working knowledge of 14 CFR Part 5 Safety Management Systems and airline safety programs.
Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills are required.
The ability to lead large and small groups with assurance and clarity is an absolute requirement, as is the ability to take the initiative in sometimes intellectually and emotionally trying situations.
The ability to speak for the Company and in professional and public forums relating to aviation safety and regulatory activities is a further requirement.
Experience with advanced database, root cause analysis, and aviation control, scheduling and tracking software systems is also required
Proficiency with database management and Excel software.
Experience with publishing software, IE Publisher or Adobe Pro.
The position involves prolonged periods during which individuals are either working with their computer while seated at a desk or standing in front of a group of people teaching and/or leading discussions.
However, the position also involves extensive travel and the performance of investigation and audit duties in airline terminals and aircraft hangars and on airport ramps and incident/accident sites that may require stamina and dexterity for their successful accomplishment.
Job Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Overall Knowledge of Aviation Safety:
- Must be adroit in ability to communicate verbally in written and electronic form at all levels, inside and outside the company.
- Must display advanced leadership skills appropriate to all organization levels, inside and outside the company.
Organizational and Leadership Skills
Problem Solving/Analytical/Reasoning Ability
The position demands a meticulous approach, the ability to work independently, and the ability to cope with rapidly changing circumstances.
The MSMS must possess the highest degree of personal and professional honesty and integrity, as the jobholder will be asked to provide information and advice to the DOS and to Company Senior Management on all matters relating to the safe operation of company aircraft and equipment, input that will often become the basis for the company direction.
The MSMS is accountable for performance of the tasks and programs comprising the Compass Airlines’ Safety Management Program. He/She will keep the DOS informed on a regular basis as to the safety “health” of the airline, will assume a proactive stance in investigating and performing root-cause analysis of all safety-related symptoms, incidents, and accidents, and will provide safety concerns, audit findings, and recommendations for remedial corrective actions to the DOS and appropriate senior operations managers.
- The MSMS is responsible for supporting the Company’s adherence to “Just Safety Culture” standards in all that it does and with regard to all company employees
- The MSMS perform and/or lead the performance of a safety analysis and investigation effort that continuously monitors all company operations to ensure that they are safe, in compliance with government regulations, and performed on par with or above industry standards with regard to safety. He/She will ensure that all safety program elements are performed and properly integrated and coordinated throughout the Company. Specific responsibilities with regard to performance of the tasks and programs comprising the Compass Safety Management System include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintaining an extensive safety reporting system that is open to all employees and that provides for a timely and free flow of flight safety related information to the places in the company’s organization needing that information to continuously improve the safety of the company’s operation.
- Conducting safety surveys as may be necessary to support the operation: i.e. hangar safety, new station and service openings, and the like.
- Actively soliciting, processing and directing responses to flight and ground safety improvement suggestions.
- Monitoring industry flight safety programs and concerns to assist Compass in staying at the forefront of aviation safety with regard to flight and ground operations.
- Maintaining a close liaison with the FAA and industry safety associations.
- Monitoring the response and measuring the results of flight and ground safety initiatives.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the DOS
- Interacting with department heads throughout the company to encourage and achieve integration of all activities.
- Respond to internal and external customers
Job Description Disclaimer:
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
How to Apply:
If interested, please click “Apply” to be directed to our online application for this position. All submissions must include salary requirements.
Compass Airlines is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, religion, color, disabled or veteran status, national origin, gender, age, citizenship status or other protected class status covered by federal, state or local law.
All applicants must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and background check.