Under the direction of the Clinic Manager, assists medical staff in examination and treatment of patients. Maintains exam and treatment rooms, operates medical equipment, and gives injections and/or treatments.
- Maintain supply and inventory for exam room, in accordance with clinic and OSHA requirements.
- Review patient charts for completeness, as well as order processing, for referrals, lab, x-ray, etc.
- Inform scheduled patients of any delays due to physician's lateness, emergencies, schedule backup, etc.
- Log patient information in respective data banks (i.e. State Immunization Tracking System).
- Responsibly upkeeps and maintains patient care areas. Stocks supplies.
- Keeps Medical Assistant work area clean and tidy.
- Anticipates need for assessment and monitoring of patients prior to and during examination, treatment, emergency, acute illness or procedure.
- Prepares and assists patient for examination/treatment/procedure by medical staff.
- Greets, assesses and interviews patient. Obtains past medical and surgical history. Family history, social history and complete set of vital signs. Reviews current medications, allergy history, chief complaint and brief interrogation of complaint.
- Acts as liaison between doctor and patient.
- Participates in training and skill development of new personnel.
- Floats to other areas as needed.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Provides a caring environment. Able to deal empathetically with patients’ needs and questions. Must be an excellent verbal communicator and projects a professional image.
- Updates and maintains professional knowledge and skills related to areas of practice.
- Responds to patients concerns in person or by telephone while simultaneously assessing and documenting problem.
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation of interventions.
- Keeps current CPR certification and licensure.
- Receives and routes incoming clinic phone calls to physicians and appropriate staff. Returns patient phone calls in a timely manner.
- Responsible for faxing prescription orders back to pharmacy.
- Clean exam rooms and equipment according to OSHA requirements
- Attends staff meetings, trainings and safety education/OSHA requirements.
- Perform other job related duties, as may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS
- Knowledge of injection levels and procedures, for both children and adults.
- Knowledge of universal precautions and blood bourne pathogens.
- Ability to document clearly, patient vital signs and chief complaint, as well as pay close attention to charting detail.
- Ability to relate well to people from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to manage patient flow in a fast paced clinic environment.
- Willingness to work flexible hours in order to meet patient care needs/demands.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school graduate or equivalent, with completion of a Medical Assistant program, from an accredited school or training program. State certification and EPIC experience are preferred. Experience in a community health, public health, or in a community hospital, a plus.